Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Velodyne MiniVee 10 subwoofer

Cool! Enjoy and get it in a part fo the room that doesn't hype-up any wild boomy frequencies.

Put $1500 down towards new awnings for the house. I can't wait until we get this thing sold.

My last house (sold in 2003) seemed to outsmart us, always breaking things that would keep us from selling it. I think it liked us too much. Good luck to you.

As for my purchases, I ordered a pair of ATH-ESW9A for work. Now to plan for a good work DAC.

Cool! Enjoy and get it in a part fo the room that doesn't hype-up any wild boomy frequencies.

My last house (sold in 2003) seemed to outsmart us, always breaking things that would keep us from selling it. I think it liked us too much. Good luck to you.

As for my purchases, I ordered a pair of ATH-ESW9A for work. Now to plan for a good work DAC.

tips on how to do this in a 20x22' room that includes a kitchen and 2 large openings to a long hallway and a bedroom, 11 foot ceilings, and about 100sqft of windows? it's one reason i just said f-it and went for bookshelf speakers (B&W 805N) anyway. i'm hardly believing the -3dB @ 42Hz. i'd believe 80Hz.

tips on how to do this in a 20x22' room that includes a kitchen and 2 large openings to a long hallway and a bedroom, 11 foot ceilings, and about 100sqft of windows? it's one reason i just said f-it and went for bookshelf speakers (B&W 805N) anyway. i'm hardly believing the -3dB @ 42Hz. i'd believe 80Hz.

Avoid corner placement and in general right against a wall.

Put it in the listening position and crawl around on the floor until you find a spot where it sounds good. Seriously.

If it was just the openings, I'd say get omnis and turn it up. But you got all that window real estate. Fuck it. Get bookshelves.

tips on how to do this in a 20x22' room ... i'm hardly believing the -3dB @ 42Hz. i'd believe 80Hz.

Sounds like your speakers are not set up correctly in the room. Try one of the FAQs on audioasylum, like the Cardas speaker setup link. Once that's dialed in, I'd get the sub close to your left or right speaker, but definitely not centered between them. I haven't looked in to this recently, so I'm not toally up on the latest. Speaker setup is a long process.

I bought a pair of Tube Traps a little over a year ago and as part of the cost they did a measurement-based room analysis for me. My speakers are futher out into the room now, and sound better than ever. It'll take a bit to get used to the lack of room boom from your main speakers, but you'll get smoother overall sound.

Also, to assist your ears, if you have a computer or laptop in that room, try Room EQ Wizard. With that and a basic calibrated mic, you can take some good measurements to confirm any differences you might be hearing.

Finally, head over ot the Rives Audio forum on AudioAsylum. I'll bet there are decent sub placement discussions already logged.