Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

I'm generaling the thing (and doing the electrical), it's not an expansion, and it's coming home for $18-$19K total. There is no way I'm not going to get that back even tomorrow. 15 miles from downtown with an acre and an in-ground pool? And it's for cash in a paid for house. Did the downstairs bath complete three years ago for under $2K with, once again, sweat equity. We were out of that for five days total. I'll be washing dishes in the laundry room for maybe three weeks. Eating out is looking better, but you gotta have good coffee at home.

I think that the boutique kitchen, or at least being able to convince homeowner's that they are worth 50k is something we might never see come back. Most of the people putting in new kitchens were financing them through second mortgages which I also think are going to become few and far between. And I'll never understand the obsession with granite counter tops, I'm not a fan at all.

My wife wants to do kitchen and bathrooms. Her dad is in the business so I get the stuff at cost. Even the labor is discounted. But, I have to buy my son a car and pay for my daughters surgery so it will have to wait.

But every good jewish girl needs a boob job for graduation.

I'm basically with Nate on the granite controversy, but wonder if he is at risk of being kicked out of N.H. for saying such things publicly? :eek: Our kitchen has stainless counters except for one small section that is a nice looking granite for baking purposes. It is dropped down to the correct dough-rolling height and has a small sink as well. It has worked out great but I would not like our kitchen nearly as much if it was granite all around.

Oh yeah, and we have a Bosch dishwasher too, grawk, so suck on that granite-lover! :P

We would probably do some granite alternative like corian or whatever else is now available.

It's funny, down here, the business my father in law is in just did a huge expansion (the business is kitchen and bath, etc). They are as busy as ever but more like $200,000 kitchens. It's the rich people that are still rich of which there are plenty. You and Nate are right about the $25,000 to $50,000 kitchens which were paid for by equity loans.

You guys forget, one of the side benefits of a granite remodel is that there is not waste. All of the granite that doesn't make it to be a counter top gets transformed into anti resonance speaker and amp platforms.

Nate is right though, the era of refi remodels is done for a while I believe. Just as well, why not be able to afford what you buy, gee what a concept. Since every remodel around here has used the cookie cutter Home Depot look of granite and steel, when we do ours I am leaning to wards Caeserstone or some of the Corian variations.

32oz bottle of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap

2 bags TJ's Salsa Corn Chips

4 packages of outlet covers

1 dusk-til-dawn photo sensor (appears to be a piece of crap, going back tomorrow)

1 65W CFL outdoor fixture, with its own dusk-til-dawn sensor

1 light switch/outlet faceplate

1 ceramic ceiling fixture

not purchased:

1 timer switch for shower exhaust fan. Apparently local retailers are convinced selling these things promotes communism.

not purchased:

1 timer switch for shower exhaust fan. Apparently local retailers are convinced selling these things promotes communism.

Those were the first "upgrade" we made in our house. I'm surprised you're having trouble finding them, there were several options at the home despot.

Those were the first "upgrade" we made in our house. I'm surprised you're having trouble finding them, there were several options at the home despot.

I was surprised (and annoyed) at my inability to find one last night. Today I am going to a professional electrical supply store.

1 dusk-til-dawn photo sensor (appears to be a piece of crap, going back tomorrow)

Today I dug out my DMM, and measured this thing. It outputs 86 volts, which causes fluorescent lights to freak out. Line current in my house is 115V.

Not so much a purchase as a gift...

Mom made a coat for the skinny one with winter weather fast approaching. Having a dog that has to wear "clothes" outside was my only hang-up before getting a greyhound. But she's definitely not made to operate outside without one when it's much below 40 degrees, so it's not really optional. And it doesn't look bad at all... Pretty damn good, actually, especially knowing it's made from an old fleece blanket. And most importantly, she's much happier going out early AM/late PM with it on, so well done Mom!

1225309842_neko_coat_2_resize.jpg

Our Dachshund prefers to have a sweater on in the cold, too. She'll happily stay outside all day playing in the leaves if she has one on, but will retreat in about 5 minutes otherwise.

She has a bunch of them that my grandmother knitted for her, since shes such an oddball shape: long, but small.

I also bought her a UConn one. Gotta love a 10lb dachshund wearing the Husky logo ;)

Not so much a purchase as a gift...

Mom made a coat for the skinny one with winter weather fast approaching. Having a dog that has to wear "clothes" outside was my only hang-up before getting a greyhound. But she's definitely not made to operate outside without one when it's much below 40 degrees, so it's not really optional. And it doesn't look bad at all... Pretty damn good, actually, especially knowing it's made from an old fleece blanket. And most importantly, she's much happier going out early AM/late PM with it on, so well done Mom!

1225309842_neko_coat_2_resize.jpg

I would think a coat for a greyhound is pretty much of a necessity in your neck of the woods this time of year given most greyhounds seem to have < 5% bodyfat.