Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Baratza Virtuoso

virtuoso.jpg

Theyre selling for $50 (from $200) at certain Williams-Sonoma

Great grinders for a great price!

Nice! I bought one for my Dad as an early birthday present. It is leaps and bounds better than the ancient Saeco he had been using, both usability and grind-wise.

three 375mL bottles of Lost Abbey Angel's Share (Brandy)...isn't available in Indiana so had to pay too much online...

& three bombers of Firestone-Walker Double Jack to reach the six bottle minimum...cool that F-W is available in Chicago now, but easier to ship it in...

My first Armagnac (Cerbois VSOP), Punt e Mes, Aperol, and a few bottles of 2008 Durigutti Malbec (which made it on WS's list of top 100 wines of 2010).

Tried to buy the knife that Reks mentioned above but failed - out of stock... maybe forever. :(

bOTYE.jpg

Edited by shellylh

^^^ ok, I know that both (shovel and cut) are lethal, especially at the hand of the master, but what is the proper order?

Me? i'd do shovel, then slice and dice. But I'm very provincial and unsophisticated. What is the proper protocol?

/clueless in sarasota ...

Edited by agile_one

a balsa bench strop loaded with .25 micron diamond compound. i've been wanting to try the .25 diamond compound, and it's cheaper to buy this than to buy a bottle of the slurry (i would probably try it on a piece of paper on a piece of glass, since i don't have another strop to use it with, as i like to use my felt strop bare). if i don't like the diamond, i can always sand the balsa down and use it with another compound, and it matches my leather strop from the same maker, so it seems like a good deal to me.

Yeah, a balsa strop plus some more 3M lapping film are next up on my shopping list since I already have the .25 micron diamond compound. I can't wait, I can already put a pretty nice polish on my micro bevels which makes even the Henckels look pretty cool. Reks, if the diamond compound dosen't work out for you you can always use it to polish the scratches on your shovel.

Shelly, let us know what you think of that Malbec, looks delsih.

Colin ... don't be dissing the Hafler gear. I built a hafler DH101 pre and DH200 amp back in the day from kit, and they were great for many years.

'Grats on the new speakers. Now, go and figure out what you need for room treatment. Room treatment/acoustics are just as important as any piece of gear you have. Think of it as another component that should be as good as or better than your amp/pre/player/ .... whatever. Room treatment matters ...

I do like it, and it has served me well for the past year or so. I am just worried since these speakers dip down to around 3ohm. I do not have a preamp, but when I got the amp I replaced the RCA jacks and switches back there, removed the balance controls (just mono screw adjust pots on the back), and replaced them with a stepper on the front panel. I absolutely need to figure out room treatments, speaker positioning, toe in, and tilt, and all the other related stuff. I know it matters, and matters quite a lot. Unfortunately, my room is less than ideal, but I am sure I can figure out something workable. Right now they are about 2.5' from the side walls, a bit more than that from the rear (unfortunately big windows behind them), and a TV between them. It will be tricky.

Edited by cetoole

Jacob, nice knife! I know nothing about knives, but I know that sho' looks purty!

Jim, good luck with the doggie! Pics when able!

cetoole, grats on the Apogees! I loved my Centaurs when I had them. x2 on placement and room control, can't emphasize that enough with Apogees! I've heard some nice Hafler setups, but have not heard them with Apogees. Don't think Centaurs are as hard to drive as their other models. May want to pick up a sub, though.

Shelly, nice looking bottles! Look forward to impressions!

Fitz is Japanese? I had no idea! :P

Edited by jvlgato