Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Nice, I have been thinking of getting a new pair of active desktops for the computer setup and these are on my list. Have a pair of Swan M200MKII's which are ok but I am looking for something a bit better.
I'll be very interested in learning what you choose - and what you think of the A5 if you come to it from the M200MKII.

I loved my M200 (mark I)s but somehow they didn't make it into the container when I moved to the UK, and it's a pain to have them gotten out of storage and shipped here at this point. Tried Audioengine A2s and they are completely wrong for me (excessive fakey bass at the expense of clarity), so I had more or less written off the A5s on the assumption they shared the same house sound.

You know there's only one solution to the active desktop question - 12L.

I was afraid someone would say this. Besides trying to get a pair used, where can one get a pair in the US? I saw that some amazon seller "Reel Deal Speakers" sells quad stuff (has some Quad 12L's for $900) but I am not sure if I should go with a company that only has 9 ratings (all positive though).

I'll be very interested in learning what you choose - and what you think of the A5 if you come to it from the M200MKII.

I loved my M200 (mark I)s but somehow they didn't make it into the container when I moved to the UK, and it's a pain to have them gotten out of storage and shipped here at this point. Tried Audioengine A2s and they are completely wrong for me (excessive fakey bass at the expense of clarity), so I had more or less written off the A5s on the assumption they shared the same house sound.

I have convinced a friend of mine to get a pair of A5s. I am guessing he will buy a pair very soon and hopefully he'll let me try them out.

I was afraid someone would say this. Besides trying to get a pair used, where can one get a pair in the US? I saw that some amazon seller "Reel Deal Speakers" sells quad stuff (has some Quad 12L's for $900) but I am not sure if I should go with a company that only has 9 ratings (all positive though).

Quad Hifi - Dealers

Tried Audioengine A2s and they are completely wrong for me (excessive fakey bass at the expense of clarity), so I had more or less written off the A5s on the assumption they shared the same house sound.
Doubt the Quads have much to worry about, but the A5s are a giant step up from the A2s. Don't let the latter taint the former.

Doubt the Quads have much to worry about, but the A5s are a giant step up from the A2s. Don't let the latter taint the former.
I need to ask, though, is the A5 really different, and not just a better rendition of the same sonic choices that make the A2 what it is?

Because when the manufacturer says "[url=http://www.audioengineusa.com/a2_home.php]we feel we

I need to ask, though, is the A5 really different, and not just a better rendition of the same sonic choices that make the A2 what it is?

Because when the manufacturer says "we feel we‘ve managed to duplicate the signature sound of the Audioengine 5‘s" it really seems like they're claiming a similar signature even if not the same quality, and to me it was the sig of the A2 that was all wrong.

Yeah, I don't get that statement (besides the marketing advantages for the newer product). Stereophiles review either. My time with the A2 was slight (basically ordered a pair for a friend, heard both side-by-side in store, called friend and had him ship back, ordered A5 for him... then pair for myself too), but if you can mentally remove the bass completely from the other areas, the rest of the sig may sound similar. I consider the A2s bass to be so overpowering and flabby it's hard to hear anything else. So difficult for me to answer, but it's not just greater definition, etc. Only other hint is every A2 owner I know tries to fix with ramp/vibration stands and no one I know who owns the A5 does. I thought the A5 was also better than the M-Audio Audiophile BX5, but they have different purposes and it depends a bit on part of the signature (top v. bottom) you focus on. The BX5 was much closer to the A5 than the A2. Edited by blessingx

Is it fate or is it not fate that as soon as I finished reading the last two pages of this thread, UPS knocked, leaving my 12l actives at my chamber door?

Alas, I look at my headphones, and cant help but think: never more?

Surely this is a fleeting possibility, and nothing more...

EDIT: for those who missed it, I got a pair for $600 shipped from the 'gon. Merchant: Echo Audio