Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Add salt with the ice. It will keep the water/ice cold for days.

Doesn't that just lower the freezing temperature therefore turning more of the ice to liquid? If the rate of thermal loss (insulation) doesn't change I don't think adding salt will have much effect.

What Nate said makes sense to me.

We held a fun sporting competition yesterday at a local park for the NY chapters of my Fraternity. Dodgeball, basketball and handball. Selling drinks is so profitable when you're buying Poland Spring from BJ's or Costco!

Doesn't that just lower the freezing temperature therefore turning more of the ice to liquid? If the rate of thermal loss (insulation) doesn't change I don't think adding salt will have much effect.

You're right. But the ice that eventually turns to water stays pretty darn cold. This is what we used to do on our 3-4 day canoe trips. The beer was still cold on the last day even though the cooler was all water at that point.

You're right. But the ice that eventually turns to water stays pretty darn cold. This is what we used to do on our 3-4 day canoe trips. The beer was still cold on the last day even though the cooler was all water at that point.

The big questions is: why do you have beer left on the last day?

The only thing I can see it helping with is transfer of the cold to the beverage since with everything as a liquid you get much higher conductivity. Myth Busters actually did a piece on something like this. Their question was what was the fastest way to cool something down, saltwater + ice was the answer.