So I sent in my HD580 for repair and got back a....

deepak

...brand new HD595.

The headband ony my HD580 cracked. It was one of those refurbs that I got off amazon for really cheap. Sennheiser customer service was super nice the entire time on the phone- I spoke to two really helpful reps.

Took them about 2 weeks to get them here. Now I'm sort of confused what to do, and it doesn't help that I just opened the parcel now, and I'm a little drunk.

I was using the HD580 for late night TV and DVD watching on my laptop.

So now I'm sort of in a pizzle. I could call up Sennheiser and

-ask them why they replaced my Hd580 with a 595

-keep the 595

-ask for a 600, since it seems the 580 is done for good (this is what the rep was hinting at when i asked her if they could just mail me a headband, i thought they'd just send me another 580)

-post on head-case (oh done), ask for advice

-sell them

I haven't been following -- what's a 595? I mean, I know it's a pair of headphones, but where does it rate in Sennheiser's lineup? Do they even qualify as decent headphones? Closed, open, somewhere in the middlin'? Do they have that family sound? Do they "scale like bastards"?

In other words, HOW DO THEY SOUND?

I'd write to them. Tell them you really wanted your HD580's back, and if they don't have another headband, could they please just give you a headband from the HD600, you don't care if they don't match (it'd be a collector's item on Head-Fi -- just like MacDEF's one MDR-7506 driver/one MDR-V6 driver headphones).

That is, if you really don't prefer the 595's. If you do, then I'd write them and say, "thanks for replacing my HD580's with 595's, they are an adequate substitute, your customer service is the best". Or some such.

I haven't been following -- what's a 595? I mean, I know it's a pair of headphones, but where does it rate in Sennheiser's lineup? Do they even qualify as decent headphones? Closed, open, somewhere in the middlin'? Do they have that family sound? Do they "scale like bastards"?

In other words, HOW DO THEY SOUND?

I'd write to them. Tell them you really wanted your HD580's back, and if they don't have another headband, could they please just give you a headband from the HD600, you don't care if they don't match (it'd be a collector's item on Head-Fi -- just like MacDEF's one MDR-7506 driver/one MDR-V6 driver headphones).

That is, if you really don't prefer the 595's. If you do, then I'd write them and say, "thanks for replacing my HD580's with 595's, they are an adequate substitute, your customer service is the best". Or some such.

Sennheiser HD595: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=newHD-3

I've only heard them very briefly a really long time ago, so I can't comment on the sound- they're generally regarded as "different" from the HD580 not better or worse. I will be calling them on Monday.

Getting just the headband replaced is something I didn't think of, but I wouldn't be too happy with a HD600 headband on a HD580 headphone.

First--be thankful they upgraded you because I believe those are more expensive than the 580s. I suppose they probably had an option to give you refurbished instead of new. And why not see if you like these before you start making calls. Unless you have to have the 580s, which at this point may not even be a possibility.

To be honest I thought that the HD595 (and the other of the series) were a refreshing addition to the Sennheiser lineup. Sure, sure, they don't have the signature Sennheiser sound that we all know and love (that being laid back and pristine), but they do offer that extra umph that some people would like from Senns. Basically it's a Sennheiser that you can listen to at lower volumes and still get some good work out of them. I'd keep them and just buy a used HD580.

Kind of strange that they did that, I mean even though the 580s are discontinued I'm surprised they don't have parts around to do warranty repairs with. You could always sell the 595's and try to get a couple used pairs of 580s with the money you get. IMO the 595's are very much a sonic downgrade they are one of my least favorite phones.

Kind of strange that they did that, I mean even though the 580s are discontinued I'm surprised they don't have parts around to do warranty repairs with. You could always sell the 595's and try to get a couple used pairs of 580s with the money you get. IMO the 595's are very much a sonic downgrade they are one of my least favorite phones.

I'll have to agree with the fact that I disliked the HD595. It's a mid-fi headphone geared for computer users in my opinion. Kind of "mehh...." sounding. I remember lots of people recommended the HD555 as a starter can a few years ago, and the HD595 as the "next step up". Haha, I bought the HD555 and A500 back then as my first headphones. I sold the HD555 within a month or two.

planting seeds... what about one forming their own opinion without external influences. :laugh:

I bet if you bitch with all these negative comments to the Senn rep and ask and push politely for the HD600s you might just get it. I can't see them ever returning to you your personal HD580s at this point.

I initially liked the 595s upfront take on the Sennheiser sound. Then I realized I had no desire for a Sennheiser that tried to be a Grado. I have Grados when I want a Grado. :) The HD595 was very comfy, however. Still, comfort wasn't enough to prevent me from selling them.

IMO the HD595 sounds like something was up with their highs. I couldn't figure it out. I liked the more upfront presentation but their highs sounded odd. Otherwise they aren't bad.

And no, you probably won't get your HD580's back. They've probably already used them for scraps in refurbished pairs of HD580's, but who knows, maybe you'll get lucky.

Well that means they could send me a refurbed HD580 :P

I'm sure if you ask nicely they would. They'd actually get money back from giving you a refurb model after you send back the 595's. (Since the whole point of referbs are to sell parts from broken headphones that aren't broken)