Everybody is getting new sources (new DAC)

deepak

The speaker rig is going to be pretty high end so I'd rather not have any preamp in the signal path. Loop out of a headphone amp is an option, but I'd prefer to have my source/preamp in 1 to go straight to the speaker amps.

Fair enough, I guess I see a preamp as one of those things that should be very easy to do well.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, I guess I see a preamp as one of those things that should be very easy to do well.

Yup I know where you're coming from. A passive pre should in theory add or remove nothing to the sound, but that's not always how it goes :-\ (and the convenience of having a remote with a DAC/preamp combo is something I'd have to have with speakers). I might actually get a traditional preamp if neither DAC allows me to input a signal from my phono-stage if I do decide to keep the vinyl setup.

Listening to it now, it's a beast ;p Not as many playback (Up-convert) options as I'd expect (Actually doesn't have any options just the 1) since the dv50/dv60 has a bunch as does the p03/d03... which is sad. But still sounds darn good :)

Not sure it beats out the EMM labs SE stack, but its still a cheaper player overall. I like it more but that's more of a sound signature preference thing. The bass is insane focused deep present and textured. The more ambient sounds come from a far distance which I like and everything is crystal clear. It's a bit more upfront than the dv50s I remembered but I listened to that balanced.. but right now I have my sds hooked up and its tubed/single ended of course. Now that the ES-1 is saled and mostly boxed up I can make room for the SS-1 and hook this beast of the source to it and hopefully the ultimate qualia rig will be reborn (Though before it was with a p03/d03 which is still superior).