I need a component stand

postjack

So basically desk space is getting to be a problem. I realized that when I have my monitor on top of my CDP, it does deaden the music a bit to my ears, so now it is in the back corner of the desk on top of some old books and it is hard to read. So I want to get some kind of floor standing rack to accommodate a 17" wide, 12" deep cdp, a PPX3, a future amp, and possibly, if I can get a stable enough stand, room at the top for my TT (17"w, 13"d).

Anyone have any good recommendations for component stands on the cheap? I was thinking of going with Boltz since I enjoy my CD rack, and they would match, but goddamnit I don't want to pay $600 for a component stand. I'm hoping to get something more in the $200 range, if not cheaper.

Doing a bit of google research, I found a site that seems to be custom made for my needs: Racks & Stands!

I'm thinking of something like this, though there are lots of other great racks and stands to browse through on this site.

I don't know about you but little pointy legs don't scream "stable" to me...

I know its just reviews on a site, and they should be taken with a grain of salt, but for what its worth:

"I needed an audio rack that could accommodate my 60LB amplifier and my 80LB Audio Video Receiver. I chose the VTI Series 4-Shelf Audio Rack. When the package arrived, I opened the box and knew I was getting a quality product. Everything was well-packed and protected. Assembly was a snap and now, my equipment is displayed proudly and securely with a ton of style to spare.

If you're looking for an audio rack that can handle some beefy equipment, look no further."

and:

"Best rack I've seen for under $500. Very solid design with adjustable legs; ideal for my turntable. It also holds my heavy vacuum tube gear without a problem. I only wish the legs were sand fillable, but for the money, I know of nothing better."

Here's another cheapie, this one from circuit city:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Gusdorf-Audio-Tower-61325-/sem/rpsm/oid/122685/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

EC.GUS.61325.JPG

Bonus on this is I can just drive down the street to pick it up from the confused circuit city guys who won't be able to find it in the back. but its there, because their web site says so.

I'm actually in the market for one too, I've been searching for one for a while. I think I'm going either Lovan or VTI.

My only advice about three leg racks is that you might have some difficulties if you ever get a large amp/source which has the IEC inlet in the center. My Pass Labs amp has it dead smack in the center so three leggers are out for me.

But if you really want to cheap it out Wal Mart has a 4 shelf glass tray metal base for $87 :D

I've seen that Circuit City design a few times and while it did meet with the wife's approval from a decor standpoint, there's just something about it that doesn't appeal to me. Gets the job done I guess but....not for me. The VTI looks nice enough and a good compromise might be the Atlantis series. I'm holding off on buying one as I have my eye on one of my kids rooms now that they're both off to college(or soon will be). If I can get that as my private space, I'm going to make it an entertainment area. Stereo, headphones, flat screen, speakers, etc....so anything I buy now probably won't fit into the plans. Good luck. Finding a solid, reasonably priced rack that looks good is no small task IMO.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

I've built a few of those. I've used 6 threaded steel rods on my larger one to help add weight and stability. Pretty cheap and fun to build. You can get 24" X 48" X 3/4" MDF at Home Depot and have them rip it into 3 equal pieces. Then all you need are some 3/4" threaded steel rods and the associated hardware and you're in business. All of it is available from Home Depot. I think my large 5 shelf rack cost about $60-80 or so to build.

I actually am considering building the flexy stand, looks like it would be a lot of fun. Not sure if I have all the tools I need, but I'm sure I could make an afternoon of it at Lowes and in my garage.

As far as prebuilt, the circuit city one and the VTI one are still most attractive. Good point about the three legs though. The three legs do make me nervous as hell, is that really stable? Like what if just a tad too much pressure gets put on the back corner, wouldn't the whole thing come a' tumbling down? Forgive me if I sound ignorant, I'm not a big physics guy.

The Ikea Lak thing would be ideal, but I have no local Ikea store, and they don't deliver the lak tables.

No the three leg thing is very stable. Plus it's easier to level a three legged item over a four legged item. If you get the listed hardware the stand is sturdy and stable enough.....perhaps not for a turntable rig, but I solved that by using 6 legs instead of three. Four legs on each corner touch the ground and the other two up the middle of each side adds support and weight.

Right now the shelves are 3/4" MDF, but there's a guy on Audiogon who makes custom hardwood maple isolation platforms. I contacted him and he can also make platforms to order. I'm thinking 2" think maple would be nice ;) But they won't be cheap. So for now, it's MDF.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

I've built a few of those. I've used 6 threaded steel rods on my larger one to help add weight and stability. Pretty cheap and fun to build. You can get 24" X 48" X 3/4" MDF at Home Depot and have them rip it into 3 equal pieces. Then all you need are some 3/4" threaded steel rods and the associated hardware and you're in business. All of it is available from Home Depot. I think my large 5 shelf rack cost about $60-80 or so to build.

I've built this one as well, though I made one with 4 legs instead of 3. One of these days, I'm going to take mine apart and paint the shelves. Of course, I've been saying that I'll paint them since I made them a long while back.

Huzzah, my desk is now uncluttered! :dance:

rack004di8.jpg

rack009ds8.jpg

It was really, really easy to put together, and it looks great. The wood color matches the color of my desk, and I really like the frosted glass. The one bummer is that with the turntable up so high, I can't watch the record spin, which I have grown accustomed to doing (its very relaxing, almost hypnotic), nor can I keep an eye on when the needle has almost passed through a side. For those reasons alone the SL1200 might end up back on the desk, but I'm going to give it some time.

$212 after tax. I'm very pleased. :)

Looks good. How's the fit and finish in real life? I'll be needing an audio rack at some point.

I wanted to take some detail pictures to give you an idea, and I might still do that, but I'm bored as hell at work so I'm going to try to explain in words.

The design is extremely simple. Not counting the glass or any of the screws, bolts, etc., there are a total of seven parts to the rack:

- The back of the rack, with the holes for running wires, is one piece.

- The front of the rack is four pieces, the vertical curved sides, and the horizontal beams on the top and bottom that connect the two.

- Two metal bars in a reverse "C" shape. The tips are fastened to the front horizontal beams, while the backs are on either side of the back piece (with the wire holes, see picture).

The entire rack is fastened together by what I think are a clever combination of certain nuts, bolts, weird screws, and fasteners for which I don't know the names. The frosted glass on the top and bottom of the rack sit on little rubber plugs which go directly into some holds on the base and top, and the other glass pieces sit on metal pieces with rubber rings that are hand screwed into the frames.

The only tools I needed were a hand screwdriver, either phillips or flat, and the provided allen wrench and regular wrench (strictly for assembling the feet). Some of the pre-drilled holes in the wood needed a little bit of love when inserting the screws, as they weren't perfectly sanded down.

It was fun to put together. I like it when I'm assembling a piece of furniture and everything just goes well. Makes me feel like a kid with Legos. As a contrast, a month or so ago I assembled a writing desk with an adjustable incline. What a total fucking nightmare that was. Its great now that I have it together, but it took me three afternoons, and everytime I went into that extra room which has become my library for the day's assembly work, I came out of the room hours later dripping sweat, covered in dust, and completely pissed off at the world. Assemblage of this rack took maybe an hour.