KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

I think my caps came from the group buy organized by @sorenb in 2015. 680u 550v from "FTcaps Germany". (These were overkill because my carbon was 400v). Maybe bad apples or any other cause, the bought  volume was enough for more than 10 carbons. I think I would replace the caps in your place in the positive supply too, less fuss.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

I've had these boards for a few years now and want to build them now, I have a full folder of the golden reference and kgsshv carbon schematics and pcb layout prints. There are a lot and confuses me. Below are the boards that I have. I hope some can point me to the right file for the PSUs and amp section. Can someone verify if this is the proper schematic for the amp?

IMG20240909225841.jpg

IMG20240909225927.jpg

image.png

image.png

That looks like the correct schematic. The boards look fine I think, assuming that the one on the right, which is chopped off in the photo, is for -400V. Given the age of these boards, you might scan completely thru the thread to ensure there were no board errors found. I seem to recall one, which did not affect the boards that I used. Here is a schematic for the GRHV. The 900 board you have listed above is for something else (Megatron or something). Also note there is a separate GRHV thread now as well.

goldenreferencehvsic.PDF

4 hours ago, Pars said:

That looks like the correct schematic. The boards look fine I think, assuming that the one on the right, which is chopped off in the photo, is for -400V. Given the age of these boards, you might scan completely thru the thread to ensure there were no board errors found. I seem to recall one, which did not affect the boards that I used. Here is a schematic for the GRHV. The 900 board you have listed above is for something else (Megatron or something). Also note there is a separate GRHV thread now as well.

goldenreferencehvsic.PDF 24.61 kB · 6 downloads

Hi Pars, Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. I was kinda worried that the thread is old and no one checks on it. Here are the photos of the PSU boards. Just want to ask for verification, the goldenreferencehvsic is the whole schematic for the 2 boards? Doesn't seem complete to me. Do we also have an existing BOM right now? Every link that I try to open are dead as of now sadly. I'm kind of embarrassed to ask here coz I may sound like an idiot. I've read the forum quite a lot repeatedly but still seems loss at some points. 

IMG20240910163518~2.jpg

IMG20240910163522~2.jpg

So, the golden rule for Kevin Gilmore boards seems to be to always follow the board. Schematics are sometimes earlier drafts rather than the finished design, which can be confusing. I have build both the 1.8 GRHVs and the .6 Carbon boards which you have with success.

If you go for +/-400V rather than 450V, SimmConn has a nice post on how to push the pzta42 back into a more linear region. 

The BOM excels and links to Mouser carts posted by mwl168 in the first post of this thread both open and download without issues for me. Should be a good place to start.  

1 hour ago, MLA said:

So, the golden rule for Kevin Gilmore boards seems to be to always follow the board. Schematics are sometimes earlier drafts rather than the finished design, which can be confusing. I have build both the 1.8 GRHVs and the .6 Carbon boards which you have with success.

If you go for +/-400V rather than 450V, SimmConn has a nice post on how to push the pzta42 back into a more linear region. 

The BOM excels and links to Mouser carts posted by mwl168 in the first post of this thread both open and download without issues for me. Should be a good place to start.  

Oh, you're right! I've been trying to download everything by clicking only. never thought of right click and save as. My stupid ass's mistake. 

Just wondering, I'm no expert with transformers and all, what does this mean?

For a 400V PSU:

• 2× 335VAC @200mA
  • 16-0-16VCT (anywhere from 15-0-15VCT to 18-0-18VCT should work fine) @500-700mA (the higher amperage is way overkill)

Do I need 2 secondary windings for the 335VAC and 16VAC or 2 split leads will do? 

For the 335, you'll need dual (2x335 as shown). Are you planning on using a GRLV or the onboard +/-15V supply? For a GRLV, you can use either (depending on version of the GRLV). If your board has space for 3 bridges, you can use either a center tapped transformer, or dual secondaries. It it is only 2, then you need the dual 2x15V secondaries. You are pretty much always safe with dual secondaries vs. center tapped.

6 hours ago, Pars said:

For the 335, you'll need dual (2x335 as shown). Are you planning on using a GRLV or the onboard +/-15V supply? For a GRLV, you can use either (depending on version of the GRLV). If your board has space for 3 bridges, you can use either a center tapped transformer, or dual secondaries. It it is only 2, then you need the dual 2x15V secondaries. You are pretty much always safe with dual secondaries vs. center tapped.

I'm not planning to use any other boards other than the ones I have currently so i'll be using the +/-15V on board.

Stupid question. What's the reason to use dual secondary winding vs single winding and just splitting wires into 2?