Head Case Motorsports

VPI

He did a great job saving it early on, but that driver's side of the mill looked like it let loose first.  

I've seen far too many racers fight tech certifiers over safety requirements.  Silliness...

HS

• Like 2

I read the headline on an article indicating this Aston was built for Alonso.  Didn't read it through so it might have just been a hook.  LOVE that it's a stick car.

I was finally "given" an allocation for a 2025 911.  Almost fell over when I was told no manual transmission for the 911, 911S or GTS (big hybrid release so that makes sense on the GTS).  What a dip...  Took me buying the wife a Macan S to "earn" the allocation.  I'm guessing they'll be back within a year, but we'll see....  Looks like I'll be hanging onto the 2007 for a while longer....first world problems.

HS

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I can offer that the PDK is the finest automatic I've driven.  I said that about Audi's years ago, but I'd argue Porsche's is better.  

The car would be faster for it.  It's just that I need (read: want) some analog in my life...

HS

• Thanks 1

For real.  I certainly wouldn't ever need the maximum performance a 911 can provide, but rowing gears is fun, and I wouldn't want to give that up in a car I'd be driving on the dragon.

• Like 1

IMG_1009.png

I never grew up driving a manual so the appeal of one is lost on me. The paddles on the PDK are fantastic for selecting gears and you don’t ever need to worry about heel-toe rev matching or something like a money shift. When I’m going flat out or close to it I’m pretty mentally engaged as it is!

Speaking of Porsche limits, the fun thing with the modern Porsches is they tell you at how well you are driving to the limit of the car when you activate the data recorder. I am very much a novice driver, but even I can get this thing up to 84% of its limit.

It is also cool that I can compare my telemetry with other Porsche drivers on the same track. It goes without saying, but the biggest different between the skilled drivers and the novices like me is the brake pedal, not the gas. They brake a lot later and harder than I do allowing them to get back on throttle faster.

My next session ended in tragedy as I had an “off” that resulted in rear suspension damage and a tow home, but hey, shit happens and performance driving is a risky activity. I am doing my penance in a rental Chevy Malibu while my baby gets repaired.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Great attitude, TMoney.  Racing is hard on parts and pricey, but what a hoot.  Good to go in open eyed and go with the flow.

You have a SUPER vehicle for track days and urban assault...fun!

I have only raced automatics when I have had little to no choice (i.e. broke what was available or didn't come with auto).  Me tracking the SUV straight-line...well, that's just a brain fart on my part but what joy.

HS

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 11:42 AM, TMoney said:

IMG_1009.png

I never grew up driving a manual so the appeal of one is lost on me. The paddles on the PDK are fantastic for selecting gears and you don’t ever need to worry about heel-toe rev matching or something like a money shift. When I’m going flat out or close to it I’m pretty mentally engaged as it is!

Speaking of Porsche limits, the fun thing with the modern Porsches is they tell you at how well you are driving to the limit of the car when you activate the data recorder. I am very much a novice driver, but even I can get this thing up to 84% of its limit.

It is also cool that I can compare my telemetry with other Porsche drivers on the same track. It goes without saying, but the biggest different between the skilled drivers and the novices like me is the brake pedal, not the gas. They brake a lot later and harder than I do allowing them to get back on throttle faster.

My next session ended in tragedy as I had an “off” that resulted in rear suspension damage and a tow home, but hey, shit happens and performance driving is a risky activity. I am doing my penance in a rental Chevy Malibu while my baby gets repaired.

Pix or it didn't happen

• 2 weeks later...

This makes me a little sad. There was a lot of hype about the new model 3 performance when it hit the streets. An electric m3 for $30k less than the gas one BMW would sell you, some said.

Well, the story on track is... not great. Brakes lit on fire after two minutes of running, and car cuts power even though he is going at a moderate pace to save brakes afterwards.

Maybe Tesla will fix this stuff, but the reason why they have an electric m3 that cost 30k less than the gas one sure looks to be that Tesla cut corners.

Most buyers will only drive them on the street though and will likely never notice.

A car with an "M" badge or a prancing horse on its badge will cost you more, but it also will be up for track work in a way that this just isn't.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The motor is impressive.  A lot of things there are.

I know this would have added A LOT of complexity, but....AWD.   Most likely would have been a hybrid setup but boy oh boy the probability of putting all that mojo to work at the tire would have been something.  

Sounds like a fun next model...

HS

10 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

The motor is impressive.  A lot of things there are.

I know this would have added A LOT of complexity, but....AWD.   Most likely would have been a hybrid setup but boy oh boy the probability of putting all that mojo to work at the tire would have been something.  

Sounds like a fun next model...

HS

There is a hybrid coming after the ZR1. Zora. 

I would be scared to drive one. That is SO MUCH POWER. From a rolling start the ZR1 should out-drag the Plaid and Lucid, which feels just insane to type.

Once it gets to the first corner it weighs 1,000 lbs less than either of them.