and now for something completely different part 3

kevin gilmore

On 7/17/2024 at 12:13 AM, justin said:

Last year I ordered a lot of different boards of KG's amps/PSUs and had someone here put them together as a project. One of them was this 6DJ8 hybrid that uses the triple output buffer of the CFA3. Single-ended output only. There was 1 missing trace on the board that prevented it from working, found and fixed that, so possibly nobody had assembled one of these before. Problem is there's a substantial hiss (very easily audible with even sensitive planars, something like 0.3mV rms of 'white noise'. The +100V is coming from a TL783 regulator, tried AC, DC, batteries for heater, different grounding, gate stopper resistors, feedback caps, w/out servo..exhausted a lot of stuff but couldn't get more than a few % improvement on the noise. Anyone have ideas?

th.PDF 51.92 kB · 23 downloads

gilmore-liquid-legend.jpg

What dual op amp are you using?

Have had a new bias servo working with my CFA3smd something for a few days. Schematically it looks like this,

Screenshot_30.jpg

and the new thing is in red square. Now I get a good reference point to the servos. Don’t understand why I didn’t figure this out earlier – slow brain perhaps. All four servos are fed from the same point. So, one trimmer and full control over the BIAS of all channels.

Diagram for new servo - 6 minutes from cold.
Screenshot_29.jpg

and diagram for old servo (in mA for the first 40 minutes from power on)

Snapshot_22-09-14_12-51-54.thumb.jpg.c24c02fe9a2f09719b5d264d745b728c.jpg

Please have in mind that the graph for no servo is for my CFAsmd something. I guess the original CFA3 have a different and better behavior – where all tripple Darlington and vbe transistors are mounted on heat sink.

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

so this is the way to do it correctly. its the only way not to seriously effect the thd.

unfortunately both opamps have to take the voltages of the output devices. which means they have to  be opa445

you set rv2 to the maximum amount of current. Then B1 is a 10k pot to V+ and ground.

r11 is actually 100k.

servo bias.jpg

Edited by kevin gilmore
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...