Your recent music purchases

deepak

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

2x45 deluxe vinyl

I'm not a big fan, but I bet that would sound good on 45PRM vinyl!

Any strong recommendations? I'm interested in some good 24/96 stuff, but don't have the coin (Balancing Act payment this month + Canjam :/) or a strong enough familiarity with the common genres to flail around and figure it out myself :/

You listen to things I don't understand at all, so I am not sure what to recommend to you. :| Anything available at Blue Coast Records is recorded about as purely as can be done and sounds fantastic. It is mostly folky or bluegrassy or jazzy, but not too shmaltzy. Anyway, check out the Special Event Downloads page and Blue Coast Collection 24/96 page, and listen to the samples. Good stuff.

On Linn Records, I downloaded one 24/192 disc of jazz/church music that sounds really cool. It is called Windwerk by Zwischent

You listen to things I don't understand at all, so I am not sure what to recommend to you. :| Anything available at Blue Coast Records is recorded about as purely as can be done and sounds fantastic. It is mostly folky or bluegrassy or jazzy, but not too shmaltzy. Anyway, check out the Special Event Downloads page and Blue Coast Collection 24/96 page, and listen to the samples. Good stuff.

On Linn Records, I downloaded one 24/192 disc of jazz/church music that sounds really cool. It is called Windwerk by Zwischent

argh I'm still not needle drop ready at Kirby St. :(

hearing the band open up their concert with the album in it's entirety bonded me to CtS. The energy from the crowd during "Divinations" was outstanding. Many a cocktail went flying in the air from the depths of the pit. :)

Sorry to hear that Jack. It would be fun to hang some more, and maybe even get you to come out of your room after meet hours! :D

:D i'm four years sober now and have become much more comfortable around other folks partying in the past year. it would have been awesome to hang out with all of y'all, but there will be other opportunities in the future!

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

2x45 deluxe vinyl

Pleasantly surprised at the very high quality of this record. Mastered by Bernie Grundman, pressed at Pallas in Germany. :o While the mix isn't audiophile by any means, the mastering is wonderful. I think I'm going to have to move the headphones and headphone amp into the den to get a listen to this on the HD650. It's a little bright but that might just be the limitations of the AT440MLa.

In other news, I am using the phono section of the 99 Pre. Initially it was a huge disappointment with my Ortofon cartridge, but it sounds much better with the AT440MLa. It might be that the Ortofon + 99 Pre just had too much leanness, while the AT440MLa brings some fun and dynamics to the picture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Redbook CDs

- from Concord Music (jazz)

Chick Corea & Gary Burton - The New Crystal Silence

Jane Monheit - Surrender

Tierney Sutton - Dancing In The Dark

- and since BMGMusic is closing up on the 23rd I grabbed a big stash the other day:

Alison Balsom - Haydn & Hummel Trumpet Concertos

Claudio Abbado - Mahler Symphony No 7

Hilary Hahn - Schoenberg, Sibelius - Violin Concertos

Jeannie Kendall - Jeannie Kendall (bluegrass)

Julie London - All Through The Night

Keren Ann - Keren Ann (folk)

Keren Ann - Nolita (folk)

Oliver Nelson - The Blues And The Abstract Truth

Rhonda Vincent - All American Bluegrass Girl

Rhonda Vincent - Good Thing Going

Rhonda Vincent - Ragin' Live

Shelby Lynne - Suit Yourself

Simon Rattle - Holst: The Planets

eMusic Downloads (all electronica)

A Produce - A Smooth Surface (Special Edition)

Atrium Carceri - Kapnobatai

Grouper - Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill

James Bernard - Atmospherics

James Plotkin / Mick Harris - Collapse

Mystified - Elemental Spirits

Mystified - The Hand of Jayanti

Reporter - Kaleidoscopic

Up, Bustle & Out - One Colour Just Reflects Another

^ I liked the streaming samples of Keren Ann so much that I just completed my upcoming collection. So much new music this month! :D (and I'm contemplating even more CDs from BMG now just because their closing sale is $6.99 w/ free shipping....) (The below aren't from BMG.)

(Redbook CDs)

Katie Melua - Pictures

Katie Melua - Piece By Piece

Keren Ann - Not Going Anywhere

Natalie Walker - With You (alt/pop)

Radiohead - In Rainbows

The Kin - Rise And Fall (alt/pop)

The Black Dog - Spanners (electronica)

Trans Am - Surveillance (indie rock)