RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

RIP documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock.  His reputation got rather tarnished in the last however many years.  He was a raging alcoholic, which greatly skewed his breakout documentary Super Size Me.  He also had a nasty history of at best being a serial sex pest and philanderer and at worst committing sexual assault.  With all of that said, he did help kick start the documentary boom of the 00s.  Also he named the right town where Osama Bin Laden was hiding and wouldn't be found until years later.

• Sad 2

Fuck, just saw that. RIP, Bill Walton, you crazy man, you, and I mean that in the best possible way. He was always a trip to listen to. Fuck cancer, and colon cancer in particular.

"But you have to understand, my beard is so nasty. I mean, it's the only beard in the history of Western civilization that makes Bob Dylan's beard look good." - Bill Walton

• 2 weeks later...

RIP to Jerry West. Maybe (up until today) my favorite living athlete.

Jerry lead the Lakers against the Celtics and Knicks in the finals 8 times before finally winning in his 9th time. That sisaphesian-effort alone makes him almost some kind of Greek tragic hero. To get near the top of the mountaintop that many times and still get back up and go again is inspiring.

After retiring as a player he built not one but two great Laker dynasties, the Showtime™ Magic-Kareem teams and the Shaq-Kobe teams. He would later serve as a front office executive for other teams, including my Golden State Warriors during the Curry championship years.

I think what allowed him to succeed in every era of the game was his respect for the current players and the changing game. Rather than insist things be done “his way” or the way it was done when he was a player, he adapted and respected the players as the skills the league valued and the style of play changed. There is no common thread to the championship winning teams he constructed, because he was the kind of thinker who evaluated and respected the tools he had at his disposal with fresh eyes and with a lack of deference to old dogma. He was able to build teams around many of the league’s most unique talents. Kareem, the great stoic. Shaq and Kobe, the best of frenemies, and Curry a one-of-one player who heralded a new era of three point shooting.

We will miss you, Jerry.

• Sad 7

This one hurts. RIP to Willie Mays, the greatest baseball player ever. He was supposed to be in Birmingham to  be celebrated along with the Negro Leagues where he got his start this week but he had canceled that trip the other day. The Giants will play the Cardinals in old timey uniforms at the still standing Rickwood Field tomorrow and I'm sure they're going to have an extra big tribute to the Say Hey Kid. He was a childhood and lifelong hero I got to meet briefly and this was one case where meeting your heroes only increased my respect for him. Well before my time, he was a customer of my grandfather's French laundry. That would have been a fun stop on the delivery / pick-up route. Anyway, RIP to the true legend. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/giants/article/willie-mays-dead-obituary-17815215.php

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Voltron
  • Sad 11

Leon McBryde, one of my favorite Santa performers and a good friend of mine over the past 15 years or so. He was famous first as Buttons the Clown in the Ringling Brothers circus, and later in life as the professional Santa Claus at The Atlantis in Nassau, Bahamas. He and his friend Stephen Gillham worked as a "Brothers Claus" team teaching all of the tricks of the trade at most of the large Santa training venues. Suffice it to say, he was one of a kind. 

https://famousclowns.org/circus-clowns/leon-mcbryde-aka-buttons-biography/

https://santaclaushall.com/2017-inductees/leon-a-mcbryde/

• Sad 12

Was just gonna post about him.  I watched Fernwood Tonight (and later America Tonight) not when it was a new show, but as reruns on Nike at Nite (which had some amazing content in the early days.)  Not everything he did was funny (his comedic music albums were ...mixed at best) but his screen presence was amazing.

• Like 2