First Headphone amp for HD600's

Yuck.

Hello,

Just picked up a set of HD600's. Did a solid hour long listening session comparing them to HD650's off an obnoxious $4500 McIntosh something or other CD player (just to be on the safe side, lol) at my local stereo shop.. Money no object, greatly preferred the 600's. Felt like the 650 simply added a driver with a bigger motor and some supporting mods, giving it more presence but overly so, making the finer details of the 600's appear warmed over. I will be predominately listening to classical, which was the genre where the major differences really made themselves known in my demo session. Felt like the 650's were more a money grab than anything else....anyway!

I need amplification. I used to work 3 jobs so I was never home much so I'm from the car audio world. I got to the point where I was running a fully active system (pioneer P99 as my source unit) with Class A/B amps, messed around with some RTA tuning, never competed, but my point is all around I know and appreiate what quality sound is and have a decently honed ear. But I'd like to try new things beyond traditional amplification.

I'd REALLY like to keep the budget around $300, I've been out of audio for almost a year and I'm a firm believer in starting simple, learning what you like and what you would like to hear different, and upgrading equipment after a period of familiarity, not just buying "the world's biggest cookie".

Also, I've heard guys like to upgrade the cable to the HD650 cable, but is there anything priced right that's more durable that would be a worthy upgrade as well? Long thin hangars anyone?

Thanks!

Hello,

Just picked up a set of HD600's. Did a solid hour long listening session comparing them to HD650's off an obnoxious $4500 McIntosh something or other CD player (just to be on the safe side, lol) at my local stereo shop.. Money no object, greatly preferred the 600's. Felt like the 650 simply added a driver with a bigger motor and some supporting mods, giving it more presence but overly so, making the finer details of the 600's appear warmed over. I will be predominately listening to classical, which was the genre where the major differences really made themselves known in my demo session. Felt like the 650's were more a money grab than anything else....anyway!

I need amplification. I used to work 3 jobs so I was never home much so I'm from the car audio world. I got to the point where I was running a fully active system (pioneer P99 as my source unit) with Class A/B amps, messed around with some RTA tuning, never competed, but my point is all around I know and appreiate what quality sound is and have a decently honed ear. But I'd like to try new things beyond traditional amplification.

I'd REALLY like to keep the budget around $300, I've been out of audio for almost a year and I'm a firm believer in starting simple, learning what you like and what you would like to hear different, and upgrading equipment after a period of familiarity, not just buying "the world's biggest cookie".

Also, I've heard guys like to upgrade the cable to the HD650 cable, but is there anything priced right that's more durable that would be a worthy upgrade as well? Long thin hangars anyone?

Thanks!

Good post.

Ok, this isn't as bad as the majority of other first posters so I'll bite. For what my opinion is worth in any case...

First of all - take your time and look around the other threads around here about the HD600/650, there's plenty of sound info there. After all if you can't be bothered, why should we?

Secondly - don't make the mistake of judging the HD600/650 insufficiently amped. These headphones, especially the HD650 will have a very sleepy treble response if poorly driven. Poor treble means bad soundstaging and that's a big disadvantage for classical music.

Third - take a look at your source equipment, the amp won't do any magic if it isn't coming from the signal source.

I can recommend Headamp and Schiit as decent manufacturers. Keep an eye out in the classifieds for Gilmore Lite amps, these are pretty great for HD600. As for Schiit both Asgard and Valhalla may fit the bill. If you can find a built Bottlehead Crack at your pricepoint then be sure to consider it.

So that's that. The HD600 can be a great headphone if you are willing to do some work. Do some researching on your own, after all - that's where half of the fun lies in this hobby.

• Like 2

Thanks rude wolf that's perfect, just a few quality suggestions. Not trying to reinvent the wheel at this stage, just get a couple ideas that I can dig into myself.

As for the rest of ya's...this is not some dive bar, or a frat house, this is indeed a headphone forum, I'm sure most of the members here were banished from real life or chose to gracefully bow out years ago...lol