RIP, JJ Cale

Wmcmanus

Really sad news today.  

http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-news/303-jj-cale-dead-heart-attack

I've always been a huge fan, and I can't exactly explain why.  I have all of his albums and have seen him several times live.  He was everything he was and nothing more.  He didn't have to play the usual games of the music industry because he was never in any rush to get anywhere.  He was an authentic musician.  No pretense whatsoever.  Didn't seem to have anything to prove.

First time I saw him was in a small venue at an old theatre in Kansas CIty in the winter of '96 when I lived in town.  Couldn't believe it.  Just opened the paper one day, and said, "Shit!  I can't believe I've never seen him yet!"  He was on that night so it was a quick decision and I was instantly pumped.  

He came out by himself for the first set dressed in jeans, didn't bother to introduce himself, just sat on a stool and started strummin' for quite a while, then eventually he started to sing (long, long intro).  Everything free and easy.  He was in no hurry.  He did three or four easily recognizable tunes, but I noticed that I was pretty much the only one singing along.

After a while he asked for requests, and I was in the second row yelling them out one after another.  There couldn't have been 300 people in the house.  So after think my third request or so he said something like, "Glad someone still listens to those old records."  It was the most gentle, sort of self-depreciating and at the same time nonchalant, as if to say "I'm Ok with myself" kind of statement.  Everyone chuckled and then he kind of chuckled to himself.  Then he asked, "Anyone in the back?  Something you wanna hear?"  At that point he got a couple of other requests, and from that point forward started to tell stories about each song, when it was written, what it was about, and the audience began to "get him."  

After a quick break, he came back for another set with a drummer, a guy on bass, and another rhythm guy.  That was about it.  Not a whole lot splashier than him sitting there by himself, but they did Cocaine, After Midnight, Call Me The Breeze, Cajun Moon, etc., and things sort of picked up a bit, but it never got much past second gear.  Wouldn't have been his style.

RIP, JJ Cale.  You were one of my first and truest music heros.