The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

2 hours ago, skullguise said:

Unforeseen Issues With Food.jpg

At least you can still get deep fried forskins to go.

2 hours ago, skullguise said:

Brent Hates Everyone.jpg

Brent?

Edited by swt61
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2024 at 3:55 PM, skullguise said:

Some recent funnies....who does that protestor look like? 🙂

Brent Hates Everyone.jpg

R-Shitei, 3-time consecutive champion of Japan’s UMB (Ultimate MC Battle) with less unshaven facial hair?

(Not really -- I just wanted to post that video.)

Honestly, if I know their name I just use that to simplify. Using a plural pronoun in place of a singular pronoun is still difficult for me. I hope it's obvious that I have no gender bias, it's just overcoming years of schooling.

Although 'shim' would also be difficult for me, because that's what I use to install windows and doors.

• Like 1

I'm reminded of my time when I worked in Germany.

As a native English speaker, I wasn't used to languages with gendered articles (Der, Die, Das),

So having to learn if a table, or Beer, was masculine or feminine seemed somewhat arbitrary, and didn't "stick".

My workaround was to refer to things in the plural, when possible, so I only had to remember das. Problem solved.

Personal pronouns, particularly "You" were problematic.

My company paid for German lessons with Berlitz, where they taught me "proper" / formal German.

The formal pronoun for "you" is "Sie", for both the singular and plural (think, hey you, hey you guys).

Which lead to one of my German co-workers (with a sense of humo(u)r ) always looking around / behind himself for other people, whenever I referred to him using "Sie". He explained he was more used to the informal/ familiar form, which has singular and plural versions.

To avoid confusion, he helpfully explained it to me, in English using the instruction "You can say 'you' to me". 

What?

Or in German

sie kannst „Du" zu mir sagen.

You can use (the informal version of) "you" to say to me.

Apparently the informal/familiar version is used when addressing friends, animals and small children.

I wonder how gendered pronouns are handled now.

Has the Academy Français made a ruling?