HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Yup. I am not saying that they are bad and the paint on them is very good (eg my comment about the Speedvagen that used to show up at the Sunday rides) but I have seen them in person and I was not that impressed. I was honestly surprised when you guys posted that he had a 5 year wait list.

I also note that it appears that the only awards they have ever won at a NAHBS is best paint and and best new builder.

Edit: this "fact" is incorrect. I was let down by a tablet browser (see below)

Not that my curmudgeonly opinions matter but I loved detail and finish in the Kirk work that I saw. He was in my top 3 at the show that's for sure. Vicki made the right call in my opinion. Also, lest I come off as biased, Vanilla or Kirk (or many other builders) finish quality are better than my Calfee but I want raw unpainted carbon which is never perfect (it is very close though). I have never seen a Calfee after paint so no comment there.

Edited by Dreadhead

It's not in person, but here's that Calfee Gravel Bike that RBA built up. I dig it painted.

IMG_27991-1024x643.jpg

http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboo/calfee-dragonfly-adventure-project-gravel-race-bike-rba/

http://www.calfeedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/RBA-Project-Gravel-Bike-Calfee-Dragonfly-and-Race-Report.pdf <--- great photo spread/info there. <3

**BRENT**

Brent I had read that and I have seen lots of posts of amazing paint jobs on Calfee bikes but I don't think you can judge the quality I am talking about from pictures. I probably spent about 5-10 minutes looking at every detail of these bikes at NAHBS (Calfee only had a repair, tandem and bamboo bike) to come to those opinions. I probably spent a total of an hour drooling on the Ellis that won best road bike.

Edited by Dreadhead

Sorry Mike. I appear to have been let down by Chrome on my tablet because when it rendered:

http://2013.handmadebicycleshow.com/about-nahbs/nahbs-award-winners/

It put things in the wrong spots (it is still rendering it wrong, had to take it to Skyfire) so I was just quoting what I saw there. I should have wondered why the format looked weird. Still stand by my personal impressions. Anyway sorry for my confusion.

I guess I should have used an ipad :)

Ben wakes up for a feeding most nights around then and I couldn't get back to sleep so I pulled out the Nexus 7 and read some Head Case and the news. This happens a lot, I'm usually up for about an hour, not a big deal for me though. I knew someone would call me out on it smile.png

Edited by Dreadhead

At this point I think Dave Kirk is the only candidate framebuilder I have for a custom steel frame. The other option currently is Spectrum, with whom I've already had a successful collaboration. Bike handling/fit, and high quality paint are my priorities in that order.

So are you guys still interested in something "Head Case"? I was thinking a Head Case Road ID would be cool. The only type they do custom art work on is their dog-tag version. I also found a bunch of cheaper dog tag options with custom art work. Any interest? I could probably organize it.

I'm less interested in the jersey because I have to buy at least 1 jersey and shorts a year anyway through my club. That said if someone chooses to setup an order I'll probably buy one.

I'm too friggen hammered at work and at home right now to organize much of anything so if someone wants to take up the charge on the jersey thing I'm interested but just can't help. And I'd be down with a custom Road ID, but can't find the dog-tag version to look at on their site. Could be my crappy web at work...

Bought the Calfee. It's a 2001, but the OCD owner kept it in perfect condition. He didn't even want me putting it on my bike rack, volunteering to put it inside the car for me. I think it's going to be fine. I was concerned about the reach, but if there is going to be an issue, it will be from needing to lower the seat. It didn't have pedals, so I couldn't get a real idea. The green is stunning in the light and I can't wait to see it in the sun. I'm very happy, plus got a new chain and the original booklet that came with it thrown in, and $60 off. We're off to Rock Burger for dinner now.

• Like 1

Okay, just ran into John, the owner of Racer's Edge, at Rock Burger. We pulled in and a couple guys came running over admiring the bikes, and it turns out he was with them. He looked the bike over and said it couldnt have ridden 500 miles. It's in perfect shape.

EDIT: just cleaned up my horrid iphone typing.

• Like 1