HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Justin is getting Mad Fibers.

Great ride, though I was in poor form.

I did manage to beat John Fox on the climb so I feel like a superstar even if he was not aware when he did the climb that he would eventually be racing me.

Justin killed it on the new bike and blew me away on the first big climb that kicked my ass. I had nothing. My legs felt like rocks for most of the first half of the ride.

• Like 1

In better bike-gear related news I stopped by my LBS earlier in the week to show them the issue that I was having with my new-to-me shoes.  They agreed to talk with Specialized about it and see if they could get me a warranty replacement strap to see if that helped.  i was psyched they agreed to even try given that I didn't buy the shoes from them, didn't have a receipt, etc.  So they got S to agree to send a strap but before that could happen their head mechanic (Billy) asked if I'd bring the shoes back in to see if the fault was with the shoe.  It's on my way home so I did that yesterday.  He took one look at the right shoe and said, "A strap will never fix that and offered to talk with S again about getting me a replacement set of shoes.  Sweet!  He went one better today and called to let me know that if I could wait a month he'd get me a replacement from the 2014 model which does away with the ratchet mechanism entirely in favor of the much better BOA closure.  SUPER SWEET!  I of course agreed to wait two or three weeks for the new shoes so hopefully by mid October I'll be rocking the Titanium/Black version.

• Like 3

I did 60 very leisurely miles (mostly 13-16) with my co-worker today, which was actually fun. It was perfect riding weather. I wanted to get in 50ish fast (for me) miles tomorrow with that group John introduced me to, but John is fickle and has already found another group. I guess they're doing 40 tomorrow. I live about five miles from the meeting point, so I'll ride down and check them out. I miss HC riding buddies.

I ended up going back to the shop and having the Vectors installed on the Calfee.  I figure I can use it there while I await the revised pods for the Cervelo.

The 800 is already making calibration a bit more difficult as the instructions only speak to 810 and I do not have some of the menu items they are listing.

Chris, done calibrating and everything works as expected, including balance percentages.

Edited by VPI
  • Like 2

Interesting Jeff, I'm not sure I would have put up with that much hassle but thanks for blazing the trail. :)

For me - I was still feeling like I wasn't getting proper extension even after raising my seat ~1/2"+ a month or so ago so I raised it another 1/4"+ yesterday before I took a 18 mile loop around East Kingston.  From the minute I got on the bike it just felt more right.  This leaves me utterly puzzled as to what the shop was thinking two years ago when they "fit" me on this.  Late this fall or maybe early next spring I think I'm going to schedule a proper/real fitting and see what the results are. 

Those look great to me Jeff. I hope that you are trying them out today. The weather is incredible. Looking forward to mine next week.

I ran with Meaghan and the kids this morning and it was actually fairly enjoyable. Who would have thought socks would help that much.

In other news I am out for NAHBS 2014 as Meaghan has the DC marathon that weekend. Bummed about that.

Raised my seat post almost two inches on my Gunnar from initial Retul fitting and about an inch on my Calfee from where I started.  Maybe we all grew :)

Socks are good, Chris.

Nice 40-mile ride with John and a group from his area this morning.  The pace was on the high side of what I can sustain (was averaging 23 mph going north).  I got saved by a stop light after a mile when it was my turn to pull.  I was dying trying to keep it between 23 and 24.    We got dropped in the middle of the return trip, which was fine.  Maybe next time we can make it a little bit further before the drop.  

Those look great to me Jeff. I hope that you are trying them out today. The weather is incredible. Looking forward to mine next week.

I ran with Meaghan and the kids this morning and it was actually fairly enjoyable. Who would have thought socks would help that much.

In other news I am out for NAHBS 2014 as Meaghan has the DC marathon that weekend. Bummed about that.

I will probably go out for a short test.  Riding by myself is too boring.

We did discuss a HC meet at the NAHBBS next year in Charlotte.  I intend to try to make it and Justin thinks he can get down there for the event.  Seems like a decent place to meet for some riding and ogling bikes.  Anyone else interested?