HD650 scalability?

Navyblue

"the HF-2 on the other hand sounds incredibly forward to me, "

True, it sounds like you're in the front row, rather than the HD600's presentation of 10 rows back.

Turn the volume down a tad and it's more liveable and there's still more detail than the HD600.

In spite of all this, my first pair of HD600's is my standard headphone for general use.

For more in-depth listening it's a bunfight with the HD800 still my favourite can.

Edited by wink

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the JH13, but I couldn't handle them as a main phone (or any other IEM), because my ears would start to bother me.

Same here! It puts some kind of pressure in my ears, and I even thought about having a refit when I got them, but the fact that I live in Brazil makes it extremely troublesome... so I didn't bother. They are my go-to phones though, since to me there's nothing that they don't do extraordinarily well!

"the HF-2 on the other hand sounds incredibly forward to me, "

True, it sounds like you're in the front row, rather than the HD600's presentation of 10 rows back.

Turn the volume down a tad and it's more liveable and there's still more detail than the HD600.

There's a good point! In fact that's exactly what that friend that has them said: when you're in a rock concert, that's what you want, to be in the front row. But even then, I'd rather have a weighty sound, like the JH13's, than a forward one. And, to me, they're mutually exclusive. But that's my own interpretation, I certainly understand the appeal of Grados!

The HD650 is like a well-worn pair of jeans. Familiar, supremely comfortable and well-fitting. Somehow always appropriate regardless of occasion or circumstance.

Capable of providing a rich, solid center which never fails to bring a smile upon your face while reminding you what the point of the experience is all about in the first place.

While it is always fun to flirt with the new girl in town, I can't help but come back to the unassuming strength and effortless depth of complexity afforded by that first great love.

Because this thread needs more horseshit:

I think I may be in a position to do a wee upgrade in the next few weeks. Can anyone offer suggestions? I have HD600s, which I like a lot. I consider my sources okay, some of them at least. My various amps, however, will not get me into anyone's pants at a headphone meet (a couple of portables and an L-pad). I've never heard anything electrostatic, and I'm Stax-curious. So, can Senn fans comment on what I otter do?

My obvious options, as I see them given my budget, are along the lines of either upgrading my amp to something decent and experiencing the scalability of my HD600s, or getting a set of Stax SR-Lambda with an energizer. Would the Lambdas be more of a lateral move, just a different flavour but not necessarily better than the HD600s?

Either get a balanced amp for the HD600, or a Lambda Nova Signature and energizer.

This is getting to be more like the other place every day.

The Lambdas would be a step forward in sound as well as in the soundstage.

Edited by wink

The HD650's are good. The HD600 is more neutral.

If you cand stand the pads, the Grado HF-2 are better still.

I have to disagree about the HF-2 - I have a pair and they're a fun phone, but they are colored and the HD600 are a good deal better to me. If I had to pick between the HD600 and HF-2 I'd pick the HD600 every time.

But I'd pick the HE-500 over the HD600, due to the improved speed, detail and transparency.

The HD650 is like a well-worn pair of jeans. Familiar, supremely comfortable and well-fitting. Somehow always appropriate regardless of occasion or circumstance.

Capable of providing a rich, solid center which never fails to bring a smile upon your face while reminding you what the point of the experience is all about in the first place.

While it is always fun to flirt with the new girl in town, I can't help but come back to the unassuming strength and effortless depth of complexity afforded by that first great love.

Not rancorous nor resentful either biggrin.png

Orthos as in Fostex T30 and LCD-2 are good. I don't think the LCD-3 are worth 2K, but what do I know not having listened to them facepalm.png I wouldn't ever buy any HE, it's some sort of gut feeling, like subconscious aversion or something. So all things equal, the HD6x0 are a terrific value and scale great.

If only the LCD3 has an improved arc assembly that makes it more comfortable to wear (this is my biggest gripe about them actually) instead of reusing the LCD2's, the asking price would be more palatable. That aside, if we focus on the sound alone it definitely has potential if they can get the infamous veil fixed. I thought it was quite close to the O2 MK1, definitely not as airy-sounding and not as detailed either but sort of made it up by rendering texture better and sounding more direct.

As for T50RP vs LCD2, unless some magic damping scheme from other dimensions are used, these are not going to sound close to the LCD2 in terms of airiness and detail-extraction but I would give credits for the T50RP for having a better overall tonal balance (not as dark-sounding). However, there is no rule that says you cannot tweak your LCD2 though.

Because this thread needs more horseshit:

I think I may be in a position to do a wee upgrade in the next few weeks. Can anyone offer suggestions? I have HD600s, which I like a lot. I consider my sources okay, some of them at least. My various amps, however, will not get me into anyone's pants at a headphone meet (a couple of portables and an L-pad). I've never heard anything electrostatic, and I'm Stax-curious. So, can Senn fans comment on what I otter do?

My obvious options, as I see them given my budget, are along the lines of either upgrading my amp to something decent and experiencing the scalability of my HD600s, or getting a set of Stax SR-Lambda with an energizer. Would the Lambdas be more of a lateral move, just a different flavour but not necessarily better than the HD600s?

A Lambda is going to sound VERY different than the HD600: airier, faster, more forward and detailed, brighter but lighter with a more diffused soundstage and less bass. Definitely worth trying though but it's a different animal!

I would suggest getting a decent desktop amplifier. I really like the sound of HD600/650 driven with a good tube amp.

Cheezus Kriste! I been saying this shit for years.

Nobody listens to me. ( smile.png )

You weren't alone my dear grin.gif

K3cT, I haven't noticed any veil on my LCD-2, but these are Rev2 and I drive them either with a Beta22 or in balanced with a Gilmore Reference. IMO the power you feed them has to do with the presence of resonances and the lack of balance. They're great headphones, but not sure really worth the asking price. I got them used and saved some dough, so no complains. I wouldn't pay $1000 extra for a more comfortable headband. No way!

Edited by Torpedo

No veil in my rev.1 either or reverb or anything like that. This is mostly linked to amplification used as the "ortho amps" over on HF are almost all ehhh... lacking in true power delivery. I do think the LCD-2 is a very nice headphone but it's never great, similar in many ways to the HD600. Does most things well but they always fall a bit short in absolute terms.

I like my HD600 with the inner foam half gone. With the foam totally removed they're too bright and only last about half an hour before fatigue sets in.

With new foams they are good with an aftermarket cable.

I even tried 5 layers of stocking instead of the foam, but it was still too bright.

I have 2 sets of new foams watiing for the current ones to bite the dust.

I don't pretend to define what neutral really is, just what sounds neutral to me with my phones.

With different phones I have no doubt that my mileage will vary.