RIP Joe Paterno

raffy

smiley_devil.gif

Ya, baby! You make laugh, Al. Let's fry that fucker!

Perhaps what I should have said is that it was a shame that he used such poor judgment on such an important matter, thereby allowing himself to become complicit in an absolutely terrible thing, and all for the sake of upholding reputations (his, the program's, the university's); that by doing so, he effectively tarnished his own reputation as well as that of the program and the university (completely opposite of the desired effects); that even though he wasn't the perpetrator, this incident will unfortunately be a big part of what he'll be rightfully remembered for by far too many people (most especially by the young victims and their families who deserved better from him); and that, even with this lapse of good judgment and the pridefulness that allowed it to occur, he still led an admirable life and accomplished many great things that he ought to be remembered for as well. My initial post was meant to be a shorthand version of this dissertation; not a denial of his inaction, but simply an acknowledgment that seems to get lost at times, that he wasn't the guy who did these terrible things.

Human beings are a mixed bag. So, too, Paterno. I guess he did some good things for a state school in Pennsylvania. But he also wanted to win football games at all costs. At any cost. He should have done more. And then his "I didn't know about rape and a man" old man act was simply despicable. I was delighted to see him fired and looked forward to more information about his actions or lack thereof. But I didn't wish to see him die a painful death. It will be interesting to see what his legacy will be. And it will probably say more about us than him.