Everything posted by skullguise
-
Songs You Came Across On Some Streaming Service And Thought Your Head-Case Buds Might Enjoy Too. No Critical Endorsement Implied. Fuck Vevo etc.
Came across this by Talitha MacKenzie. She has done some modern takes on "Mouth Music" and "Waulking Songs," but she also writes and sings some protest songs as well. Like the first one below; she doesn't hold back much 😅. Second one is a live version of a cool song from her album Solas.
-
World War 3 Thread
Great, just what we need....TWO fucked up and degenerative old men running these countries!
-
The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post
-
What are you listening to Part the Third
Myrkur - Spine. Also got this on vinyl. This has grown on me a LOT! Love the melodic mix with some heavier music. Example (Live version):
-
The Youths are bringing CDs back?
I will NEVER get over Pink Floyd's Animals 8-Track. Of all the long songs on that album, they had to break the very short Pigs On The Wing to go between tracks..... 😠 🤣
-
The Youths are bringing CDs back?
Dang....maybe I should hold off selling my CD's until the pricing starts to come up like it did for vinyl.....
-
Best guitar players
For me, it gets a little muddy between technical abilities, and how the guitar playing impacts me/makes me feel. For that reason alone, my favorite is David Gilmour. What some people do with an acoustic or Classical guitar is absolutely amazing, but he hits me in the feels with a lot of his playing.
-
What are you listening to Part the Third
Couple new albums. Like Agnes Obel The Meaning Of Flowers better than Echo & The Bunnymen Apples For Isaac; though the latter did pleasantly surprise me, was not expecting it to be as good as it was! Shell of their early/former selves IMO, but this one was still enjoyable....
-
RIP someone or another
Thanks....I know Barely Breathing and several others; none were the one I was thinking. I have an extremely small snippet of melody in my head, cannot match that though!
-
Speaker Porn
Used to own some Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitor speakers. Sold them to someone who has remained a friend. They just came out with a "Super" BMR Monitor, using (my favorite) Purifi woofer; bass down to 32Hz +/- 2db! Their finishes are quite lovely, including the one below. My Evoke Audio Eddie's are in the shop for blown tweeters. Apparently, the CSS Tweeters used aren't made anymore, so they're looking for good replacements. But I could even see these replacing them eventually!
-
What are you listening to Part the Third
^^^ It was The Last Snowfall that had me in tears at her show.....
-
RIP someone or another
Wow, what a story! I'm sorry to hear about his death, and glad you found your "balance" in the relationship. RIP David (and Shirley as well).
-
The Live Music Thread
Sorry for the TL;DR, but this one is big for me. Short version: seek out Vienna Teng, she is a beautiful human being that plays wonderful music. A soul-filling day & evening this past Friday. My friend Melissa and I saw Vienna Teng in my hometown of Marblehead MA. In the afternoon, she hosted a Climate Change "Workshop" (she has an advanced degree in the subject). It wasn't a doom and gloom that I almost expected, but actually a bit inspirational and hopeful. We all came out with ideas and one or more things to put into practice. The evening show was just stunning! A solo show but she used things like tape loops, vocoder-style & voice duplication choral effects, etc., to make it seem a bit larger. She has one song that I actually emailed and talked with her about to request she play, called The Last Snowfall. A short but lovely song that made me think of Karen. In the weeks before she passed, we were talking about her two sisters coming up from different parts of NY state. A snowstorm was forecasted, and I was telling them they didn't need to drive in it. Karen - who did not love Winter - smirked a bit and said she wouldn't have to worry about snow or Winter anymore. A bit of humor in some pretty fucking dark times. Vienna played the song, dedicated it to me and in memory of Karen. Tears were falling, and my friend Melissa was kind enough to provide some tissues. We both loved the show and everything about the day, and remarked that just her presence and words & music raises good feelings and hope. Got a pic and a hug after the show. Quite the gift she has! Link to the video of The Last Snowfall: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FotpPHUgl_pvTJi_cdYRL3fMWtfpAbk1/view?usp=sharing Other pics, of the workshop and show.
-
RIP someone or another
RIP Duncan Sheik I have a song in my head that I thought was written/performed by him, but cannot find it in my searching. But another loss of a talented singer/songwriter....
-
Happy Birthday Stretch!
Belated Happy Birthday!
-
The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post
RIP Ian King - one of the guitarists for the FU's, local Boston band from the 80's, and later Straw Dogs. Got to see the FU's in the early 80's (stayed FAR away from the mosh pit!), and oddly again this year when they were part of a punk show along with a band my friend manages. They had an intelligent cynicism, even some about the punk rock scene..... Old: New (I saw them around this time, at another location):
-
RIP someone or another
RIP to Cheetah Chrome, Guitarist and co-founder of the band Dead Boys.....
-
What are you listening to Part the Third
Thanks! LOVE Kate, Jane, and Happy, so that's a nice compliment!!
-
The Live Music Thread
Some uncivilized music.... 😄 The Reverend Horton heat and Messer Chups. Messer Chups was my favorite of the 2, even though they were the opener; ghoulish surf-rock. Much fun! The drummer even liked my Mayberry On Acid III shirt!
-
What TV show are you watching now?
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit the army" 🤣
-
What are you listening to Part the Third
Vienna Teng - We've Got You ep Going with a friend to see her in my hometown (original, not current) this coming Friday. Beautiful, creative music, some humor, etc. Looking VERY forward to it! This ep has two "versions" of a song, then a combined version. Combined song:
-
Which Cooking Are You?
Those look great, Al! I had some sweet chili salmon last night, with a broccoli salad, fermented ginger carrots (!), and a Paneer Paratha with some tzatziki on it. Nice mix of tastes.....!
-
And now what did you do TODAY?
Long but wonderful day yesterday. Left the house at ~7:30, got back almost midnight. Visited a dear friend in CT for a day-late birthday celebration. She was so supportive to me as I went through so much with Karen, and she has had her tough issues and hardships as well. But we had a wonderful day just checking out some small towns near her, and having a nice lunch and dinner. Happy Birthday Nancy!
-
And now what did you do TODAY?
One of the hardest things to face IMO. And all those coincidences!! The only saving grace (for me) was that Andrew was becoming the person he was meant to be. He had some amazing growth in college, found some great people, and set the stage for what he is now, and that is amazing to me. His senior year, when I helped him move in the last semester, I was on my way home and Cat Stevens' "Father and Son" came on my playlist. I almost had to pull over I was tearing up so much. Good luck to Lily, you, Maura, and your Andrew!
-
And now what did you do TODAY?
After a nice crabmeat sandwich lunch, got my Flu and (first) Shingles shots. Vaccines for the MFW!