Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

www.Head-Case.org

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

blessingx

High Rollers
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by blessingx

  1. Dorthy Ashby's Afro-Harping and The Rubáiyát Of Dorothy Ashby Full also full
  2. I think about this shot of his all the time.
  3. A few highlights... The already mentioned in music thread James Kaplan's 3 Shades of Blue: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans and The Lost Empire of Cool (2024). A blast to read, though that may depend a little on existing knowledge of the reader. The three paths up to Kind of Blue and after, though many others are also covered. Really a portrait of a culture changing. Also heroin bad. I don't read enough fiction any longer for the following to carry any weight at all. Really, but Stephen Markley's Ohio (2018) is the best thing I've read by an author not named George Saunders or Cormac McCarthy in probably 15 years. Lots of people screamed at the time that this, not Hillbilly Elegy, was the text to read to understand Midwest disgruntled feelings and Trumps rise to power, and while that's probably unfair, it's a far better book (I hated Vance before it became popular!). Bias warning: although it takes place in a fictional town of New Canaan, Ohio, from references it can't be further than two counties from where I was born and raised. I don't think that's all of it though considering NYTimes, NPR, and other reviews. I "read" at a busy work time, so moved between the paperback and the audiobook and will say as the stories shift perspective between characters, the audiobook with its different voice actors, may help a little there. Heroin still bad. Gigi Otalvaro-Hormillosa's Erotic Resistance: The Struggle for the Soul of San Francisco (2024). I haven't finished this yet and I swear Melissa or Esmé may have confiscated my copy, but a fun read with lots of references to an earlier San Francisco and where the city differentiates from other US cities (more geo-bias). I'm cheering it on, but we'll see by the end. Can read about a related exhibit here. Some fun historical posters included in book. Heroine very good here.
  4. ^ There are some fun live shows on Youtube. Here Rosinha de Valença's Um Violão em Primeiro Plano. Full
  5. Anyway, this show really turned out to be special. Here’s a little making of video if you’re interested.
  6. blessingx replied to blessingx's topic in Music
    The legendary ‘Tiberi Tapes’ reveal new sides of John Coltrane, even to his biggest fans https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/arts-letters/articles/coltranes-shadow-tiberi-tapes
  7. Thanks for the suggestions Peter. I had earlier searched for a reasonably priced used Sun Bear set, but not recently, so just checked again, and unfortunately the same (outside Encores). Will keep an eye out. Streaming until found. For Miles holes, great nudge. There’s ever so slight overlap with Ultimate Miles, but not enough to stop me. Also related, there were two recent box sets I forgot to include in the photo and one of those was his The Original Mono Recordings Columbia set. No overlap with the Prestige collection, just a smaller Miles hole. All open for suggestions.
  8. Thread resurrection and last 60 days of damage. Work bonus and too much time on eBay represented. Will now slow down.
  9. Wynton Kelly Trio, Wes Montgomery - Smokin' at The Half Note CD Full
  10. Funny enough I listed to the following about an hour ago... EDIT: Might as well add...
  11. Their parent headquarters (SmugMug) doesn't look like anyone has been inside for two years. Nemo Gould's Technostalgia at The Museum of American Heritage (MOAH) Nikon D4 and CV 58mm f/1.4
  12. Since it's his 100th birthday today going late... Full
  13. blessingx replied to swt61's topic in Music
    Wes Montgomery And I always have a soft spot for Leo Kotte.
  14. So it was her? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/monolith-mystery-las-vegas-desert-b2564821.html
  15. Who cares what the Maryland State Fair awards it's photography prizes to, but for your enjoyment... ‘With 850 photographs submitted this year, Chamelin says it is difficult for volunteers to determine how every entry was made. He claims that he did not know that AI had been used to modify Alston’s photograph when it was submitted into the competition.’
  16. Bill Evans - The Paris Concert: Editions 1 & 2 Full (Edition 2 starts at 53:04)
  17. This week's homework: DeAgostini Blue Note Best Jazz Collection Japan #6 Sonny Clark and #7 Lee Morgan Ex. I'm not sure it's terribly exciting for others to follow along as I digest these over the next few months so here's a list of all (that I have). The original series was extended to 80 discs if one wants to really complete. And then there was a second, different De Agostini Blue Note round on SHM-CD. And another Jazz collection across labels. eBay (and ChatGPT) can occasoinally be your friend. No. Artist 1 Miles Davis 2 Herbie Hancock 3 Sonny Rollins 4 Art Blakey 5 John Coltrane 6 Sonny Clark 7 Lee Morgan 8 Horace Silver 9 Bud Powell 10 Hank Mobley 11 Wayne Shorter 12 Thelonious Monk 13 Kenny Burrell 14 Lou Donaldson 15 Dexter Gordon 16 Grant Green 17 Kenny Dorham 18 Jackie McLean 19 Jimmy Smith 20 Freddie Hubbard 21 Miles Davis 2 22 Bobby Hutcherson 23 Clifford Brown 24 The Three Sounds 25 Curtis Fuller 26 Live at Jazz Clubs 27 Joe Henderson 28 Stanley Turrentine 29 Donald Byrd 30 McCoy Tyner 31 Herbie Hancock 2 32 Ornette Coleman 33 Horace Parlan 34 Paul Chambers 35 Art Blakey 2
  18. Grant Green’s Funk in France: From Paris to Antibes (1969–1970) Full
  19. RIP photographer Ian Berry. So many great shots over the years. https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/photography/photojournalism/rip-ian-berry-the-magnum-photojournalist-who-shot-the-only-photos-of-the-sharpeville-massacre-and-who-spent-more-than-seven-decades-working-hard-being-humble-and-insisting-the-job-was-never-about-the-gear https://www.all-about-photo.com/photographer/1228/ian-berry And for Dylan fans Also https://www.magnumphotos.com/theory-and-practice/ian-berry-intimate-portrait-serge-gainsbourg-jane-birkin/
  20. They loaded for me yesterday. Not today. For instance: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55528102446_c0178ed055_o.jpg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.