Everything posted by nikongod
-
srx revisited
Why not run the input tail off of B-? Maybe with a resistor to dissipate some heat. Saves the -20V power supply. Any thoughts on using the output CCS's in "combined CCS & mu-follower mode" (see link to Pimm Labs below - about half way down the page)? http://www.pimmlabs.com/web/Active_loads_and_signal_current_control.html
-
Happy Half Century Skullguise!
Happy Birthday Todd!
-
Maniacal Keyboards
Joy nipple. Unicomp makes a few keybords with buckling springs and (whatever that thing is called).
-
Happy Birthday Bozebuttons
Happy Birthday Tom!
-
Blue Hawaii Special Edition
I was thinking primarily of the transistors in the low-voltage input stage. Or using this in a dynamic/low voltage amplifier.
-
Blue Hawaii Special Edition
I feel like I'm going to make a foll of myself for not seeing blatant sarcasm... But you can socket transistors. A few trimpots or socketed resistors (or a transistor and its matching resistor on a little daughter-board so you only have to plug in one thing and never have to bend leads and could maybe even replace a single transistor with an op amp if you wanted) and the KGNCA (KG necessarily complicated amp) would be infinitely transistor roll-able.
-
Sennheiser HD 800 Redux
I was responding to Tyll. Didnt see you posted until after mine was up.
-
Sennheiser HD 800 Redux
I don't. I mean, I am sure that they have certain goals, and that its kind of obvious that they have a specific sound signature in mind listening to the HD414, HD580/600, and HD800 but they run the very real risk of creating competition within their own brand if they make too many headphones that sound the same. The flagships don't even sound the same - you can just tell they are all on the same path... Grado and Beyer regularly get ridiculed for having 2 significantly similar sounding cans at different price points. There is also the target demographic - why make a headphone that sounds like a flagship when all the kids want is more bass with their bass? There is nothing good to say about this beyond demonstrating supreme engineering knoweldge - after which point they know they wont be able to make any money. PS: we put a subwoofer in your subwoofer so your bass can have more bass.
-
Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Don't roll tubes, roll amps.
-
The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!
All of them. Because d-_-b
-
Cleaning out dust
As always, start by making sure nothing is holding a charge... Observe proper HV precautions! TCE is primarily a degreaser. Probably not necessary here. If you have access to a keyboard vacuum or other similarly precise *low power* vacuum cleaner with a brush tip, I would lean towards that. Second choice would be *gentle* blowing. I would not resort to chemicals unless you want to take the whole thing apart which sounds like an epic pain in the ass. Before you vacuum/blow take the tubes out so you can really get the vacuum/blower everywhere. While the tubes are out clean them off, because tubes should look pretty and shiny, but not for any reason of performance. If you care about the markings on the tubes be VERY gentle when cleaning, and avoid solvents unless absolutely necessary - you can probably get the tubes clean enough with just a few drops of water and a clean napkin. Dust is not a problem until it forms a blanket thick enough to be a thermal insulator, and you are nowhere near that point. The big exception being if it is metallic dust from metalworking but I'm assuming (there I go...) that this is conventional home/office dust so, yea, it's just ugly.
-
Happy Birthday Haj!
Happy Birthday Haj!
-
Happy Birthday Gene!
Happy Birthday Gene!
-
Now this you didn't see coming....
This is why tube amp.
-
Happy Birthday Bryan!
Happy Birthday Bryan!
-
Deals
K601? Doesn't really answer the detachable cable question, but the K601 are not given nearly enough respect while the K701 is given far too much.
-
Power Conditioners
A few people have DIY-potted transformers. Voodoochile started a thread about on Head-fi it back when he was building his (insanely awesome) MAD-EAR clone. I did it with the SEX amp you sold me, although mostly for aesthetic reasons. Edit: Corrected the spelling of Voodoochile
- Happy Birthday nattonrice
-
Happy Birthday CD44hi!
Happy Birthday Juan!
- Happy birthday emelius!
-
The Headcase Stax thread
This.Or 3M blue-painter's tape. Both have very gentle adhesive. I would be worried about scotch tape. Too sticky me thinks.
-
Electrical questions
To the tune of "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor. Because you know I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass I think its pretty clear I dont know what to do. But I can fake it fake it, if I want to 'cause I got that 2.1 amp that all the boys chase And I got lots of junk all over the place. I see the engineers working that p-spice We know that shit aint real C'mon now, make it stop cause you got cheap cans from the bottom to the top Yea, my mama she told me don't worry about your sound she says, "boys like a little more hacking to go around." You know I wont be no "good sound club" approved system so if thats what your into then go ahead and move along Because you know I'm All about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass Hey! I'm bringing Headphones back Go ahead and tell them DIYers that No, I'm just playing. I know you think your phat But I'm here to tell ya Every inch of this is silly from the bottom to the top Yea, my mama she told me don't worry about your sound she says, "boys like a little more hacking to not go right." You know I wont be no "good sound club" approved system so if thats what your into then go ahead and move along Because you know I'm All about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass Because you know I'm All about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass Because you know I'm All about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass 'Bout that bass, 'bout that bass Hey, hey, ooh You know you like this bass
-
Happy Birthday Johnny Numbers!!
Happy Birthday JP!
-
Happy Birthday Alex!
Happy Birthday Alejandro! and Billy
-
Search problems?
Google: "neko site:www.head-case.org" (no quotation marks) returns bunches of info.