Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

www.Head-Case.org

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

nikongod

High Rollers
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by nikongod

  1. I camp really light from years of backpacking. I don't think I will need to carry much food (I will always be able to stop in a grocery store so worst case is a few meals) so I'm pretty much just looking at camping gear. I have a rear rack for 1 standard bike pannier right in the middle, and a front rack for what is basically a gigantic handle-bar bag. The combined weight ratings on the racks is a bit less than 50lbs, which is WAY more than I would backpack anyways, so I guess about 70lbs would be a good guess for bike & gear.
  2. When I got the Brompton it had the $40 Lumotec Lyt Basic ("only" rated at 15lux, and about the cheapest dynamo lamp from any reputable MFR) which was brighter than just about any battery light I have ever seen. My only complaint is that the beam was kind of narrow which was a bit of a problem riding along some walking paths - its nice to be able to see the edges. Since then, I have upgraded to the Edilux 1, and like it a lot. It is more than wide enough to see both edges of a very wide path, and it does shine a decent bit further too. I have mixed feelings about the "senso" feature*, and just leave the lamp on 24/7, but that's kind of a standard thing on nicer lights. For city use, or on roads, I don't think you can really go wrong. I am mostly concerned with "beam pattern" and less concerned with total output. If you will be locking the bike up outside, I would think about how it looks to a thief Maybe just making it look like its held together with duck-tape will be adequate. Although it has not been a problem yet, I wish it had a built in USB charger for some camping trips I want to go on. The majority of my trips are short enough that I don't need to charge anything so it has not been a problem yet. OTOH, this is a nice point for the Luxos-U. The Luxos-U also has a nicer day-time-running-lamp system, which runs the lamp at reduced power. The Edilux is either full-blast or nothing I would not get the E3-triple for road. The circular beam tends to blind oncoming drivers. The other Supernova lights are nice. Supernova works with their own tail light, where other headlamps seem a bit more flexible. I STILL have the cheap stock Brompton rear lamp, and will keep it as long as possible. People riding behind me say that it is incredibly bright. * the sensor is too quick! It turns the light on when you drive through an intersection. It would be PERFECT if there was a 30 second delay...
  3. I really like the stripey light.
  4. It seems you have found our little corner of the internet. and not the welcome PM. Allow me to summarize: First you do the second thing 3 times with the hose. Then you begin the third thing second but not before you chicken milkshake the straphead with the case of peanuts! Never before the case of peanuts! With the coffee pot you waterproof down mailing tube. Kingsize sharpie the dry erase board before you insulated cup the folding sunglasses. When you drink the ice rock never starship pencil. No, seriously, don't. Finally take the metal puzzle and cheese it cracker the forearm trainer while you calculator trombone the insulated bottle. Hope that was helpful.
  5. Happy Birthday Ben!
  6. I am intrigued by the unicomp keyboards. https://www.pckeyboard.com/ But really like compact layouts without the numberpad. grumbles.
  7. This may be my exit strategy for my D200. Not that I need another camera...
  8. [jackass] I'm still not convinced that anyone actually deserves any money to build audio gear. I mean, when you can buy an O2 for $37.54 (even less if you steal the resistors from your school's electronics lab and get the op amps and regulators as "MFR samples"), what justification does anyone have to build something legitimately nice? [/jackass] [serious] Although not so specific to audio, the Sherline lathe page has some realllly awesome insights into stupid shit people who are starting business do, from the perspective of the owner of sherline who did some really weird shit apparently. [/serious]
  9. Getting a noisy-as-fuck mechanical keyboard was pretty awesome. Such a nice typing experience. I have 2 "compact" keyboards without the dedicated number pad on the right. I think its interesting how the noise of my own typing has NO effect on my enjoyment of life, and may even increase it, but seems to drive anyone in the vicinity insane. I have noticed the same effect on me - when other people use a click mechanical keyboard and I have to listen to that fucking clickity clack click clack I want to do bad things to them. I wonder what causes this. Sherwood - what switches do you have? I have a Cherry-blue keyboard at home and Cherry-red (with little foam pads added under the keys to make it even quieter) at work. People still complain about it at work.
  10. I like that the POC helmet has the outer shell wrapped around the bottom of the helmet. Such a nice feature for anything BUT a "weight is the only object" helmet. It should really help prevent the bottom edge of the helmet from getting those stupid dents all the time. Have you looked at the Smith Forefront? http://www.smithoptics.com/forefront Should hopefully have better sunglass compatibility, although I have not seen one.
  11. I'd say Sony got the zoom range on the RX-1 just about right
  12. I have the Ortleib Grocery bag. http://www.ortliebusa.com/prodInfo.asp?pid=35&cid=2 It is mega convenient with its zip-lock style closure, but it does not stay shut if overpacked.
  13. Happy Birthday Brent!
  14. Happy Birthday Raffy!
  15. Happy Birthday Rob!
  16. http://pinion.eu/en http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp
  17. He was doing it before it was mainstream too.
  18. I like where this is going, but I think that there may be some problems: An unexpected downshift can be really unsettling on the bike. Internally geared hubs also tend to "stick" if shifted while you are pedaling hard. Much like a car transmission you gotta synchronize power application and gear shifts. Slowing your pedaling for 1 revolution becomes second nature as you get used to the IGH. I have no idea how to account for this. That being said: With all the bluetooth bike sensors out in the world I'm surprised that nobody has done this. You may need to integrate a POWER meter or heart rate monitor as well as the obvious cadence & speed sensors - huffing and puffing up a hill at 50rpm and "maximum power" because your bike doesn't think it needs to downshift is not even close to the same as basically idling down a level road at 50rpm because your out for a casual ride. Having the bike progressively downshift as you maintain your casual cadence could be a bit annoying. Somewhat unrelated: A google glass app that suggested shifting based on power output, HR, and/or cadence could be really cool.
  19. sexay bicycle. Internally geared hub and belt drive FTMFW. Not such a fan of their (lack of) fender options though. Whatever you get, get the most-coverage (covers more of the circumference of the wheel=more better) fenders you can. No wood. Metal or plastic.
  20. Happy birthday Chris!
  21. Absolutely, but Senn said from day 1 that the HD700 was a scaled down version of the HD800. I'm all for options at various pricepoints and SQ levels. Market diversity is wonderful. But releasing a new "flagship" product every ~18 months just feels slimy.
  22. Nope. I don't. In the 5-odd years since Sennheiser did it right the first time and came out with the HD800, Audizee has come out with 4 rolling prototype of flagship headphones. Hifiman has come out with (how many again?) top of the line orthos, and more are surely on the way! Don't worry, a better Ortho is just around the corner.
  23. Dynalo works really well with HD800 and other headphones that have stood the test of time. If it fails with the FOTM, you will at least have a good amp for some real headphones. Was that what you were looking for?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.