Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

www.Head-Case.org

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

HiWire

Manufacturer/MoT
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by HiWire

  1. Visited the music store... got a few discs I'd been wanting: Black Messiah – D'Angelo and the Vanguard Treasure – Cocteau Twins Beat My Distance – Anemone
  2. Here's another favorite of mine, the Lexus LC500. I fell in love with the Lexus LF-LC concept that was shown in 2012, and the production version is pretty close to the concept. I really hope the rumored F Sport version loses literally a ton of weight and adds a manual transmission. https://youtu.be/2NgROUQZNVM
  3. III – The Grassy Knoll One of my favorite bands. This one is more relaxed-sounding than their first two albums. If you enjoyed some of Angelo Badalamenti's jazzier work in David Lynch's projects (Lost Highway, particularly), you might love The Grassy Knoll.
  4. Emoticons are the best! They make up for all the inadequacies of our language:
  5. Sea Change – Beck I need to pick up more of his albums. Odelay is excellent and I've been planning to get Mellow Gold and Mutations forever. Then I'll check out his newer stuff.
  6. Have you watched The Man in the High Castle (Amazon)? I read the book, but haven't watched the show.
  7. We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic – Foxygen I think this album is much better than their 5th album, Hang. The songs have more energy, cohesiveness, and authentic emotion. Also, for Foxygen, this album shows some restraint where their later albums crossed a line somewhere.
  8. City of Thieves by David Benioff (Game of Thrones showrunner) – the adventure of two young men set in the siege of Leningrad, this book has a bit of everything – action, history, literature, the absurdity of war, but most importantly, humor
  9. If you have the budget, I'd look at a refurb 2018 Mac Mini. The RAM is user-upgradeable and you can even hook up an eGPU. The 2014 was handy for a while, but the 2018 is more future-proof (in terms of macOS compatibility cutoffs) with a lot more CPU power, a little more GPU, and the refurbs aren't much more expensive than the 2014, depending on your config. The 2014 Mini should have optical audio out of its headphone jack, unlike the new one. Minis make great always-on boxes, whether you're using them for TV or more general server duties. I can't say the same for iMacs or MacBooks – they aren't designed to be left on all the time.
  10. HiWire replied to Dusty Chalk's topic in Miscellaneous
    Thanks, guys. I follow this thread but don't post as I only have a Timex and a Swatch at the moment. The millenials don't seem to wear wrist watches any more.
  11. HiWire replied to Dusty Chalk's topic in Miscellaneous
    I'm looking at something fresh for the remainder of the summer:
  12. I never felt bad when the bad guys put bullets into the Aztek (Ass-tech) in Dark Angel.
  13. 2016 Atomized – The Raveonettes I've only got Chain Gain of Love and Pretty In Black, so this is a big update for me... the Raveonettes' latest album sounds much more modern, to my ears. A lot of ear candy in this first listen.
  14. I'm not a big fan of streaming TV, and this article will probably date badly in a year, but we appear to be at a crossroads: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/10/magazine/streaming-race-netflix-hbo-hulu-amazon.html
  15. La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman – follow-up prequel to the Golden Compass trilogy (His Dark Materials) in the new trilogy, The Book of Dust One of the best novels I've read in the last few years – can't wait for the next book to come out. The 2nd book in the trilogy, The Secret Commonwealth, is due this October:
  16. You Don't Mess with the Zohan
  17. It sat on my bookshelf for years – it's a long book, but it's easy to read because Bryson is a great storyteller. Highly recommended.
  18. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson – a great science book for non-scientists:
  19. The White Stripes (1999)
  20. The History of Fraggle Rock (my favorite children's show):
  21. I was listening to music from my 2011 MacBook (from my Alessandro MS-1 out of the headphone jack – RIP mini Toslink) – I turned the volume up one click (to 4 out of 16) on a short pop music track and it nearly fried my ears (ow ow ow). Don't underestimate the volume level coming out of modern pop music – going to give my ears a headphone break until tomorrow. ? I think I'll turn the iTunes volume down to 1/2 to reduce loudness with headphones from now on. There are some huge jumps between volume levels on the Grados. I was lulled into complacency after I listened to Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations (Zenph).
  22. Lost (2004), Season 2 – hard to believe so much time has passed
  23. Porsche announced the new 6-cylinder 718 Cayman GT4 and Spyder (with 6-speed manuals) – this might cause the price of the older 981 GT4 to finally drop a little and some of the more conservative owners might take them out of storage: https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22794/the-porsche-718-spyder-and-718-cayman-gt4-are-finally-here
  24. Congrats! Might be worth getting the Linn fixed later as well. My Arcam CD player's tray broke a while ago and Arcam refused to repair it. A local electronic repair shop was able to fix it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.