Everything posted by dsavitsk
-
And now what did you do TODAY?
-
And now what did you do TODAY?
When I was in high school, I went out on a very cold day to start my car and let it warm up while I got ready for school*. I started the car, but it was so cold that the door mechanism was frozen and the door wouldn't latch. I figured that if I locked it, it might latch upon closing. And since it was one of those locks where you had to hold the handle for it to stay locked upon closing, I didn't think it was a problem. Upon closing, it did stay closed, but it also stayed locked. Having a spare key, I went inside to finish getting ready. When I came out, I put the spare key in the door and promptly broke it off. So I was left with a locked, running car and no key (and a mother who was not going to let me stay home). I don't remember how I got to school, but I do remember that when I got home the car had run out of gas and the battery had died. * my car had a special feature that if it was really cold, the levers on the steering wheel would lose tension which turned on the wipers, turn signal, etc.
-
What are you listening to Part the Third
- Mattresses
- RIP someone or another
David Graeber. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/sep/03/david-graeber-anthropologist-and-author-of-bullshit-jobs-dies-aged-59 Edit: A favorite Graeber article: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/whats-the-point-if-we-cant-have-fun- Searching for silent 220-110 step down transformers
All transformers hum. The less they are taxed, the less audible it is. So oversized is your best bet.- RIP someone or another
One of the best professors I ever had, who went on to become president of Cornell, died from colon cancer at 52, literally weeks after being diagnosed.- What Are You Building Today
I don't know what you mean by ink, but I'd tend to do this sort of thing on a laser over a CNC. https://www.ponoko.com/ also, probably vellum, not velum- What are you listening to Part the Third
- What are you listening to Part the Third
- Songs You Came Across On Some Streaming Service And Thought Your Head-Case Buds Might Enjoy Too. No Critical Endorsement Implied. Fuck Vevo etc.
Possibly the best track by the best MC of the 90's. One of those songs that I'm sad when it ends, and I usually listen to it again (and again). Kind of obscure, but if you listen to other 90's rap, you'll recognize this as being sampled all over the place. to wit- What are you listening to Part the Third
- What Headphones Do You Actually Use?
My primary these days are the 3M Peltor Optime 105's.- Keep your Wine in Line
My dad was famous for always preferring the cheapest wine offered, even in blind taste tests. Saved him a lot of money over the years.- What are you Smoothifying Now
They are good for baking at that point. Throw them in the freezer until it cools down.- Happy Birthday Antonio!
- Streamer/Airport Express Replacement?
Do any of these work as a wireless soundcard, or are they all streamers that need to be controlled with an app and that pull things from various places (like the old squeezebox model)?- What are you listening to Part the Third
Haven't heard this in years ...- What are you listening to Part the Third
- What are you listening to Part the Third
- The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katko_v._Briney- Windows 10, v2004 update
You prefer it when Microsoft steals your data?- RIP someone or another
Johnny Mandel, Oscar-winning composer behind M*A*S*H theme, dies aged 94 https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/30/johnny-mandel-oscar-winning-composer-mash-theme-dies-aged-94- Shunyata power cables
Buy audio components with competently designed power supplies. A $3 inductor does way more than any of these cables or conditioners.- What are you listening to Part the Third
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/18/lankum-the-livelong-day-review
Important Information
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.
Account
Navigation
Search
Configure browser push notifications
Chrome (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions → Notifications.
- Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Select Site settings.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Safari (iOS 16.4+)
- Ensure the site is installed via Add to Home Screen.
- Open Settings App → Notifications.
- Find your app name and adjust your preference.
Safari (macOS)
- Go to Safari → Preferences.
- Click the Websites tab.
- Select Notifications in the sidebar.
- Find this website and adjust your preference.
Edge (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Edge (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Click Permissions for this site.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Android)
- Go to Settings → Site permissions.
- Tap Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Desktop)
- Open Firefox Settings.
- Search for Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.